Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

The Obdurate


Perhaps it was more typical than not--that night, I mean. The guy worked a high-crime district, West Palm Beach, where being a cop meant hot nights, especially in December or January, when, by day, the streets were full of people looking to warm their lives in balmy Florida. People think of retirees as "snowbirds," he told me, but the citrus and the palms attracted thousands and thousands of others too, low-life men and women who thought nothing of shrugging off the law.

He was the law. He was an elder in the CRC, a fifteen-year veteran of the West Palm Beach police force, an immigrant himself, who, as a kid, spent three WWII years in a Japanese concentration camp in Indonesia, where he once stood at attention and watched a commander kill a man with his bare hands. By the time he came to Florida, he was no stranger to the darkness, and I was in his squad car that night to experience whatever it might be he would experience, riding along, doing a story on him and his life for the Banner.

That night, I was struck by how little I knew of his world. He drove the Dodge with "Supervisor" written above the lights on the hood, an assignment he was given because the captain knew there was a civilian--me--along to witness, a journalist. I was doing a story on a CRC cop in crime-ridden South Florida. The "Supervisor" had discretion; he could pick and choose the action. He told me I made his job easier that night.

At the outset of the story I wrote, I quoted from the Canons of Dort because I loved the sound of a word I knew so little of--obdurate. The Canons define the darkness in all of us by running through the blessings of creation before the fall. Then, somehow, through our Edenic forbearers, we walked away from godliness and "became involved in blindness of mind, horrible darkness, vanity, and perverseness of judgment; became wicked, rebellious, and obdurate in heart and will, and impure in his afflictions."

By the time the morning came, I witnessed very little really, only the bloody after-effects of a fight between people who did business with each other, all of them drunk. They got into it after one of them broke into the other's late-night bar and stole a couple bottles of hooch. There was blood. The perp cut his hand when he busted out a window.

But that was it that night. The truth?--I felt relieved, although a bit cheated by getting by so easily. The super's world offered no picnics--that much I knew; but that night was pretty easy.

What I remember best is not some third-degree burglary, but the fashion by which the night began, the way NYPD Blue used to begin every episode, the captain up front outlining the concerns in a half-humorous monologue that ends with a finger pointing in the air--"Hey, and be careful out there."

My supervisor took me along to hear the agenda, a room where maybe 30 guys, white guys, listened in but were rowdy in the way boys can be while the boss is running through the business at hand.

What I've never forgotten was the stone foundation of voluble racial prejudice in that evening's agenda. I don't remember anyone using the n-word, but you can avoid the usage and still make the point; and the point was made, time and time again, in jokes that made no attempt to dodge purely obdurate racism.

All of that was forty years ago. I have no doubt that were I to attend the evening's agenda with the West Palm Beach police tonight, the room would include men and women of color. The atmosphere now cannot possibly be what it was then.

Still, what I remember best about that whole story is the first half hour when a room full of white guys did their best to make jokes about the obdurate they were sure to find, that night, on the streets of the city.

People mean a variety of different things when they talk about "systemic racism," but my understanding will always begin with what I saw and heard in that meeting at the station. That level kind of racism takes years decades to mitigate.

You can read the story for yourself, if you'd like--I'll send you a copy. But nowhere in what's there in black and white on the page will you find a word about what I witnessed before that night's supervisor and his ride-along took off from the station. I didn't report any of that.

I can't help believing this morning, the morning after Derrick Chauvin heard a jury's three guilty verdicts, that my not writing anything about what I saw and heard that night in the meeting is also what people mean when they talk about "systemic racism."

Makes me wonder about "the obdurate."

1 comment:

jfschuu said...

Hi Jim,
This was good to read and it was good to be reintroduced to the word 'obdurate.' I'd like to read the old article. I'm assuming that was when you traveled and wrote profiles of CRC folk for the year for The Banner. I remember a conversation in which you self-remonstrated that you had forgotten to include a 'Grand Rapids liberal.'
John