Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Friday, April 09, 2021

A little shameless huckstering


The background--well, even the foreground--you may recognize by its uniqueness. It's the Badlands National Park, a place I love to visit. The Badlands is not an unlikely place for meditations because, more so than a lot of settings, the Badlands are so unique--"what happened here anyway?" people ask when they see the place for the first time--that first-timers especially, generally don't say much. Even frequent visitors like me--and this guy--get awestruck, a healthy emotional state for meditation.


But Psalm 104, I keep saying, is a waterpark of a poem. Many consider it yet another version of the Bible's creation stories. Water is at a premium in the Badlands, rivers and lakes and oceans are a world away, it seems. But I thought I'd put them together and see if they didn't grow something thoughtful and inspiring.

If you frequent the Basement, you might have already have realized that there's even more personal things here as of late. Yesterday's post about the Cuban Missile Crisis is a haunting memory I'd never really explored before. If you choose to stay with me next week, you'll read a fictional story that outlines one of the most difficult childhood memories (I had a wonderful childhood!) that I have--losing my dad's war booty. 

I don't know that I'm fit as a fiddle, and I'm not sure that I'm turning out music that's better or worse as what's left behind, but I am gathering my things because I've kept up this blog for more than 15 years. In that time, there's far more content than anybody will ever both to read or view. So, not long ago, I made a photography book that featured photography from Siouxland, where I've lived for most of my life. I'm slowly piecing together a memoir from posts that explore the effects of all kinds of experiences in my life. I'd like to do a book of Small Wonders--the stories that are broadcast on KWIT, an affiliate of National Public Radio. There's more. 

But then I remember the Bible too, that line about ". . .of the making of books there is no end." I'm not trying to sell a ton, just making them so that someday, maybe, some great-grandchild may share with me a fascination with the past. I really do wish I knew more about all of my great-grandparents--two pairs of them lost three children in the early years of the 19th century. I'd love to ask them about how they made the transition--old country to new. 

So, here's the latest. I don't even have the copies yet, but they're coming. Morning Thanks--Reading Psalm 104 amid the Badlands, a 90-page book of photographs from the Badlands and meds from that gorgeous life-affirming psalm. An odd couple, I know. But when you're doing your own thing, you can spin in any way, shape, or form that seems becoming. And, like I said, in the Badlands, wherever you look is awe.

They're smaller than the first one, hence cheaper. This one will go for $35, plus postage. I'm sorry they're so expensive, but they just are.

If you're interested, in one way or another, let me know. They're coming soon.

Meanwhile, we're off to Oklahoma for a very special FIRST birthday. 

No comments: