Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Monday, November 30, 2020

Review--Jesus and John Wayne

A couple of decades ago, I suggested a few negative things about Billy Graham in a piece I wrote for the Banner, the denominational magazine of the church in which I was reared, the Christian Reformed Church of North America. My folks, proud of their son's writing appearing there, were more than a little disappointed and even annoyed. How could their son besmirch the great evangelist's name with such cheap-shot criticisms? I was their son, but who was I to say bad things about a living saint? 

What they'd seemingly forgotten was that they once did so themselves. When I was a little shaver, not yet participating in theological discussions around the dinner table, I remember my father being, well, skeptical of the all that frothy grace--"cheap grace"--front and center at Billy Graham's immodest extravaganzas, thousands and thousands of repentant sinners marching forward, in tears, to confess their troubled need for "Jeee'zus." Really, all of that in a football stadium? 

The whole revival business was foreign to them, not as all-American as Kristin Kobes Du Mez makes it in her fascinating and fine book Jesus and John Wayne. The title line is a blessing, but this book's goods are in the subtitle: How White Evangelicals Corrupted a Faith and Fractured a Nation. The truth is, or so it seems to me, my parents were, back then, the foreigners. Eventually, they too became American.

And, if I've got my ears on, I'm guessing Kristin Kobes Du Mez would say so too. If my parents were more than a little leery about the whole Graham phenomenon, that attitude would put them outside the boundaries of what might then have been considered "American evangelicalism." They were Dutch Reformed, emphasis on were.

Because they didn't stay there. Truth be told, they had good reason not to distrust Billy Graham; their own beloved sister-in-law knew him well, rode back and forth to Wheaton College with the guy when he was just a rugged, handsome kid, and she was a Southern belle. They didn't know Billy Graham, but, Lord 'a'mighty, they knew someone who did. 

Just one of the basic arguments of Jesus and John Wayne is that, whatever definition you want to give it, "white evangelicalism" is far more of a cultural phenom than a theological position. I suppose it's always a conundrum: does one's theology determine one's culture?--or does one culture determine one's theology? They're Siamese twins. Kobes's book trades almost exclusively--and convincingly--in the cultural nature of what we reference when we give the word "evangelical" its political meaning.

In just about every way, my parents became more politically and culturally "conservative" when they got old (I don't think that's unusual), but more theologically conservative too (I don't know that that's unusual either). Once upon a time, they were inheritors of a worldview deeply distrustful of what they would have called "Arminianism," the idea that somehow we--and not God--determine or choose our personal salvation. 

As the years rolled by, the old-time religion--all that Calvinist theology--got tiresome, I suppose, when some of those TV preachers became their daily fare--"they're just sooooo good, Jim--do you watch 'em?--you should." Of the Reverend Billy Graham they would have said, "Just look once at the good that man has done for the Lord in this world." When Graham got charmed by President Richard Nixon, they did too. By 1968, given the antiwar movement and racial violence all over the country, my parents could not have been more proud of having a Bible-believing Christian man like Billy Graham right there in the Oval Office with the President of the United States.

My parents--good people, sweet people--became orthodox "American Evangelicals." I have no doubt that last month my mother would have voted for Donald Trump. She had grown up Dutch Reformed, but become a Christian Nationalist. 

I am still dumbfounded by the realization that in the county where I live, where there are ten people gathered, eight of them voted for Donald J. Trump, a man whose lies--yesterday again on Fox--are somehow less evil then than they are idiotic and just plain baffling. Kristin Kobes Du Mez's book makes my astonishment less mystifying. The Trump phenomenon was a long time coming, for years in the works.

Often, it's not pretty, but Jesus and John Wayne, a thoughtful and convincing travel guide through the religious landscape of the better part of an American century, highlights the story of "white evangelicals" like my parents. 

And me too. 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

AW COME ON MAN.

I'm surprised you didn't write on your guy being knocked over by one of his "poochs" last night.

Here we go again with this "orthodox" crap...

What kind of man writes about his dead parents in such a distasteful manner?

Please remind us how upstanding this guy of yours is..?? For those of you not old enough to remember (or judging by this crowd, UNABLE to remember) --- please look up the Washington Post's article "Echoes of Biden's 1987 Plagiarism Scandal Continue to Reverberate".

My favorite: "He claimed he had gone to law school on a -----full academic scholarship and graduated in the top half of his class----- ... In fact, Biden would soon acknowledge that he attended law school on a partial -----need-based scholarship, graduated near the bottom of his class----- ... What I’d said about my academic achievements was just faulty memory or lack of knowledge. I hadn’t remembered where I finished in my law school class."

This guy with faulty knowledge of his own performance is somehow going to be our President?! 33 years ago-- has his memory (or morals) since improved?

How many deferments did he get? Just wondering...



Imagine if DJT quoted from the Book of "Palms"............................

Unknown said...

Hey Anonymous,
From the bottom of my heart, please cry more: your tears are delicious. You have nothing to offer but resentment, paranoid conspiracy, and petty grievances--all while hiding behind anonymity. You're pathetic.
Sincerely,
His son

Anonymous said...

"Unknown"---the irony.

Did I say anything incorrect? The only possibly incontrovertible thing I said was his writing on his parents was "distasteful" (opinion). The rest are facts. --- "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." (John Adams).

Me cry? Haha, we've seen more than 4 years of liberal down-pouring here.

I'm glad my "tears" are delicious to you---says more about you than it does about me, however.

"Paranoid conspiracy" --- "If they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left" (Margaret Thatcher).

Unknown said...

Like I said already, I'm his son. My name is David. Why are you here? If you don't like what he says, don't read it. I never said they weren't facts. I don't care if they are. Take your pompous ass else where if you're just going to bitch. Save it for your blog or wherever else you go to try to feel important.

Anonymous said...

WOW, what a mouth. Who taught you to swear like that?

You wrote "His son"---I thought it implied you were a Christian.

"Why are you here?" What an arrogant comment! Surely this post isn't about The Man in the title, WOW.

No discourse for you 'uber-liberalis', eh? 3 weeks after J.B. titles himself Pres-Elect, we're seeing leftists' violence and hostility increase, following their Dear Leader's example.

Why would I post my name on here? I'm not naive like some.
Leftists are creating "lists" of Trump supporters (before you cry "conspiracy theory", I've seen the webpage and tweets), promising to take action against us. How low is that?

Anonymous said...


I am glad to see a son say a word in defense of his dad.

--------------------------------------------

On the subject at hand.

John Wayne was a life time subscriber to the The Spotlight. Billy Graham would not answer a letter from Tail gunner Joe on behalf of "the deplorables."

In due course, Graham let himself be used by "puff Graham" Hearst to move barrels of ink. Graham must been a soul mate of Harry Truman in never picking a fight with those who buy ink by the barrel.

In Mike Campbell's book page 202 -- the other intern, David Finlayson claimed Truman was in the Oval office when FDR said, "they found the bitch's airplane,' referring to Amelia Earhart."

https://earharttruth.wordpress.com/2017/03/13/jim-golden-and-fdrs-amelia-earhart-watergate/

thanks,
Jerry

Unknown said...

In all honesty, I kinda felt bad about my first response, thinking I had been too harsh with you. But this... your latest response is just... *chef's kiss*.
Now run along and peddle your Qanon B.S. on Parler with the rest of the degenerates.

Anonymous said...

Are you confusing my comment with Jerry above? I am not Jerry.
I don't see any "qanon parler conspiracies" in what I've written.

Of most importance, I'm not a degenerate. Would you like to know how many years it's been since I've had sex outside the bounds of marriage? I do not drink or smoke; I have never taken drugs. I have no clue what other vices I could be partaking in to consider me a degenerate.

I don't know what a "chef's kiss" is, but I'll trust it's nothing nice, considering your tone.

I actually felt bad about my comments as well as I left the digital sphere for a bit---I meant to rebuff to your father's politics (****four years of incessant anti-Trump, anti-NWIA conservatism****) in a back-at-ya, now-it's-your-turn manner, but really I shouldn't have posted them here and I shouldn't have been reading his blog.
I know a family he has written about a few times and wanted to exchange big, deep, good secrets, in dark fun, but covid came, and now politics have divided people even further. I am done with leftists, completely.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I know you're not Jerry.
As a Trump supporter, I would think you'd understand hyperbole. I don't know or don't care if you've had sex outside of marriage or did drugs, but I love that you think that explaining that to me somehow clears up a misunderstanding or something. Again, it's... *chef's kiss*. That you think that's an insult is itself is... *chef's kiss*. Google image search it and figure it out. I promise it's not vulgar.
You've been assuming I'm an uber liberal. I'm not. I'm proudly anti Trump.
If you want to correspond with dad, go right ahead. He speaks for himself. Don't use me as an excuse.
Otherwise, stop complaining, snowflake. You're the one who started this up.

Anonymous said...

I don't play 20-year old's "sarcasm".
I speak many languages and won't apologize for not understanding slang "chef's kiss".
I do know, however, that you live up to your surname's meaning in its original language.

Explaining with proofs to denounce your claims of "conspiracy theory" does not equate with "excuse".

Trump and I living rent-free in your head, sad.

BYE, FELICIA!

Unknown said...

Wait one more thing: I love that you don't play 20 year old sarcasm, but you end with BYE FELICIA. Absolute perfection!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous ('Ah, c'mon man'.....'orthodox crap') writes and thinks in a way similar to an opinionated but weak student in his freshman year at college. Schaap writes and thinks in a manner similar to a Ph.D. with 30 books and a pair of Iowa Fiction Writing Contest wins under his belt. Marital fidelity, avoiding drugs and saying no to alcohol and cigarettes are healthy choices for the body, but they don't keep you from sounding like a complete bozo.

Don C said...

I am not and never have been an American nationalist. Many of my former churches considered me "unpatriotic" because I was against the flag in the church and singing any song to the United States. But I voted for Trump. Yes, I know he has a zillion character flaws, but is it not a character flaw to think you have the right to kill the weakest and most vulnerable people of society? Give me all the hot air of Trump (though most of the policies were not the end of the world) versus a man who thinks murder of children is perfectly acceptable and on top of that thinks you and I need to also pay for it and if it transgresses our conscience as a doctor, nurse, or pharmacist you need to loose your job. Al, all the talk about how bad Trump is simply doesn't match the evil condoned by the other side. Just because they appear nicer (the devil also appears as an angel of light) I need to vote for them?!! Their policies proclaimed loud and clear there would be no toleration for people of faith who didn't conform to their creed. This has nothing to do with John Wayne or any of his movies or American ideas of masculinity. It has to deal with values. And the values of the left are farther away from Christian values than the right when it comes to gender, sexuality, abortion, end of life issues, etc. Also the right tends to be much more tolerant, whereas the left penalizes views they disagree with by fining, firing, and dragging into court, etc. Obama / Biden tried TWICE to and cram abortion down the throats of elderly nuns —put charities out of commission simply because they don't follow democrat orthodoxy —the democrats are enraged the courts back people of faith like the nuns and so want to pack the court. (All of such democrat persecution is quite a bit heavier to bear than a tweet by Trump). Besides over the years (and it still hasn't stopped) I saw and heard an awful lot of rotten things said by the left which were worse and more uncharitable than the stuff I heard coming from Trump.