Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Thursday, April 09, 2020

Morning Thanks--Prof. Mike Vanden Bosch

Marlin

Fifty years ago I wrote an essay for him, for the class he was teaching and I was taking--a class in how to teach English. He chewed me out for what I wrote, told me in no uncertain terms that he expected much more of me than I'd shown. In four years of college, I'd never been chewed out like that, for sheer laziness. I could have been, I'm sure, but I wasn't. Somewhere in my files that essay still exists. It was hot. Probably still is. He was angry.

Prof. Vanden Bosch was a great guy, a terrific teacher, a man who was, I knew, successful at his calling, not only because his strengths in the classroom were evident, but also because I knew he carried this nearly sublime reputation among friends who'd had him as a teacher and coach in high school, before he'd moved on to teach in college. They lived in awe of him.

Raising his ire the way I did with that essay was less distressing than perplexing, so I went to him. The whole thing was a misunderstanding. I had thought the essay was role-playing: "write an essay as if you're a high school kid." That's what I'd done. I was dead wrong. 

When I came up to his desk, he was gruff; but when I told him what had happened, he smiled, then laughed. Before the essay assignment, I'm sure I liked him. But the striking turn in his demeanor showed me an impressive strength of character I thought really wonderful.

Prof. Vanden Bosch was beloved. When some years later I returned to my alma mater to teach, we became friends, good friends. Broad-shouldered, muscular, powerful in a way that made most males cower, within him there lived a poet, a man who quoted poems he loved, reams of them, an artist who stopped seeing and writing only when he could no longer find the words.

Mike Vanden Bosch was a regionalist in the best sense of the word, a man of the dark Siouxland soil he loved, a native, who gifted us with histories of the town where he lived and the college where for years he held forth the resonant beauty of the written word. He had the shoulders of a mason. In his sixties, he was asked to coach women's softball. He did, and did well with the quiet strength that marked most everything he did.

He had to be close to retirement when he called me one June night and asked if I'd play first base for ad hoc softball game he'd lined up in McNally, Iowa, on an old sand lot under lights. He didn't need to say he'd be chucking--that came with the territory. Real northwest Iowans knew him better as a pitcher than a poet. On the mound, he was legendary.

Eleven years ago the two of us were asked to speak at the funeral of Harold Aardema, a country editor from Doon, Iowa, a mutual friend. I was proud to have been invited to say something. Mike was too, I'm sure. The funeral was out of town, so we drove together to an old church our mutual friend had begun attending when he and his ideas no longer found welcome in the one where he'd spent much of his life. 

That funeral was the first time I suspected his words weren't quite in a line. Something was unglued in what he said that morning, and that scared me--not what he said, but how. The ideas jarred, didn't run like they should have, almost left the tracks. The man I listened to in that little church that morning wasn't the Mike I knew. Something had gone slightly adrift.

We talked, up and back. I told him I wanted to see the farm place where he grew up, just one son of an over-sized Iowa farm family I knew from his myriad tales, a family mostly poor but proud and pious. We took gravel roads to find it, and I heard at least a dozen more earthy stories, some of which I remember--the time he and his buddies skipped church and went to a county fair where one of his friends put him up to take on some side-show wrestler who'd give any takers ten bucks if they'd best him. Mike was just a kid, but he walked out of the ring ten bucks richer. 

One of the stories had to do with his mother, whose senility, in her late years, was profound, he said, so profound she couldn't recognize her children. Nothing seemed to register, he said, but somewhere in that locked-up mind the old hymns still played. If they would sit in her room and start into "Beneath the Cross of Jesus," he said his mother's lips would move because the words were still there when nothing else was. He loved that.

Three years ago, on a Sunday, I sat in front of him at a comprehensive care facility in a worship service he slept through, crumpled up in a wheelchair. He had become his mother. After the service I tried to greet him. He didn't look up. I just hoped he'd heard the music.

The man we'd eulogized was a story-teller. One night the country editor got to talking about Mike Vanden Bosch and said he'd never forget the day Mike came back from college with a knock-out girl, a dish from back east, blonde and beautiful. "All of us were green jealous because," the old editor said, "there she sat, right beside him in that car, you know--before seat belts--right there next to him, that little pony tail tossing back and forth as they drove down the street."

That story I remember, too.

She was there too at the home too, sitting with him at the worship service. There's no pony tail, but she's still beautiful. I'm thankful for her--and a million other beloved caregivers who give their lives to men and women they won't and can't stop loving, even when so much of what those loved ones were has already departed.

In a way, Mike Vanden Bosch, poet and pitcher, teacher on court and classroom, husband and father, and grandpa had been gone already for a long time; but just this week he died. So, his life will be celebrated only by a grieving family, who are likely thankful for him that the end had finally come. For many, it seems, dying is hard, hard work.

The girl in the pony trail and her children and theirs will be alone in this pestilence all around. There will be no eulogies, no public visitation with family, no real funeral. 

He deserves much more, as does his wife. His loving family deserves every square inch of blessed grace the Lord can bestow upon them as they remember a man they loved and still do. 

May the words of those old hymns his mother could still sing move their lips too. 

This morning I'm thankful for him, his life, and so much good he's left behind.

12 comments:

Dutchoven said...

Amen.

JVB said...

Mike was always my relative--one of the distant Vanden Bosch cousins from the branch that moved from Western Michigan to Siouxland--but he became my friend and colleague when I began teaching with him in the English Department at Dordt in 1978. He was a wonderful colleague there: completely earnest and serious about the educational mission, but full of boyish good humor at the same time. He was part of the Dordt delegation that met with Fred Manfred several times in the late 70s and early 80s.

My favorite story from Mike came after the easy victory the faculty enjoyed against a student softball team at Dordt. I had never seen Mike pitch a softball before that game, but it was clearly his pitching that allowed us to win that day. I told him how impressed I was with his pitching--he had at least three very different pitches, and he threw the ball very consistently all afternoon. "Jim," he said, smiling deeply, "I had a good day today, but you should have seen me pitch before I was saved."

A prince of the kingdom, and all of us were better for being his colleague.

Thanks, Jim, for getting your tribute out in these hard days of loss.

Leona Noteboom said...

Thank you for a great article for great guy and his stories and poems that he left us.Blessings to his wife and family as they say their final goodbyes! Mike now has a clear mind!

Bonnie Miedema Reinders said...

Thank you for your lovely tribute to Mike, whom I loved and appreciated as an English professor at Dordt and as my mentor when I student taught at Western.

James and James, I’ll take this opportunity to thank you also as my well-loved professors of English and British literature, respectively. I treasured my tattered, heavily-highlighted, much-written-in paperback literature anthologies as they and I travelled to Wisconsin, Florida, and California when I was teaching high school English.

Mike’s daughter Kim and I played together in Hull when Mike and my dad taught at Western. I remember coming home from California and Mike telling me she had a brain tumor. They are now reunited.

Louisa May Alcott, describing the death of Beth, said it well: “Those who loved [Mike] best smiled through their tears and thanked God that [Mike] was well at last.”

May God grant His grace to all who grieve. May the promise of Easter resurrection provide comfort: “Death is swallowed up in victory!”

rondajn said...

Thank you 💜

Dan Vanden Bosch (Mikes son) said...

Thanks Jim, that was beautiful and touching. And thank you for your friendship with him for so many years. I know he treasured it.

Fred Wind said...

Wonderful!

Darwin JW said...

Wow... I started reading it because I was your paperboy in Sioux Center... I still remember where you lived... I also knew Mike a little bit because of my friendship with Dan... Thank you for the wonderful eulogy!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful article! Thanks! What a blessing it was to have "Mr." Vanden Bosch as my Western Christian senior English teacher! He poked and prodded and let us go! I wrote a short story which he insisted (because of my love for drama) become a play. He was so good about REALLY knowing us. I always tried to remember that gift as I taught my students.

By the way, I was the guilty one to get the Dordt delegation to begin to visit Manfred. As a junior, I read my first of his books and was SHOCKED! How DARE he? He went to WESTERN! So I wrote a very passionate, super righteous letter addressed to Frederick Manfred, Blue Mound, MN. I mailed it in Hull, since I wished to remain anonymous. The next school year, there was a day when the school was buzzing. Manfred was in the building! I went to honors senior English with Mr. V.B., and there was Manfred in all his 6'9" glory. I was TERRIFIED! But during class (as he sat in the back), I told myself that he wasn't here for me. But just to be safe, when the bell rang, I headed for the front door of the classroom.
The door was quickly blocked by Mr. V.B. He grabbed my arm and said, "Oh, no. Mr. Manfred is here to talk to you. You will listen."
How did Manfred find out? He went to Harold Aardema first. Harold recognized my "style" (I had written a few articles for him) and sent him to Western. There he went to the office and asked to see my English teacher. Mike read the letter and immediately knew who it was. So much for staying anonymous in NW Iowa!
When I was at Dordt, The head of the English dept. asked if I would bring a group of English majors to visit Manfred. So it began.
But Mike's influence on me and many others goes on and on. His stamp on me sent me on many adventures where I wasn't afraid to take risks, to dream BIG dreams, and persevere to get it done! What a blessing he was! I will always thank God for letting him be part of my life.

jcs said...

Thanks for the story, but it's not news. I heard the story three times--a Manfred edition, an Aardema edition, and a Mike edition!!! Thanks for telling it again. It is a great story. I do plan on gathering anecdotes like it for Nancy, and we'll be having some kind of event once the pestilence ends. . .Thanks again! Jcs

Unknown said...

If I recall, YOU were the one who had to teach in front of him! Sorry about that.

Unknown said...

We were always so impressed with Mike as a teacher at Western-- and Jerry by his coaching. But what we'll never forget are his chapel speeches. The gym was always totally silent when he spoke. There was a beautiful aura that was taking place. He spoke what he had written, quietly and meaningfully. We still wish we had copies of them. It's so sad that he is gone He was an amazing example for all of us. Thanks, Dave, for the beautiful eulogy.
Marlene Leinse Koster and Jerry Koster