Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Day #20


Got a gift yesterday, a good one, from a friend who wanted to see what it would take for her to make a mask. She turned out a few, handsomely. I'm not sure why, but when it's strapped on it makes me feel more professional than criminal, which is a good thing. Some news show guest expert recommended them yesterday, said he couldn't help but believe we'd all be better off if we wore them while out on the street. So today I'm prepared, even if, right now, going masked to Fareway seems a little soap opera-ish.

I picked up a book from the college library Tuesday, not by going in--no one is--but by arranging a clandestine hand-off just outside the door, where the librarian passed me the book, latex gloves on her hands. Weird.

I'm still adjusting to the toll the experts say we just might be able to reach if we all social distance--it's officially okay to use that phrase as a verb, btw. I'm trying to avoid being serious because those preposterous numbers just don't calculate in my imagination. Something in me won't let them.

Which is not to say I'm not trying. As we all are, I'm a Fauci Fan--as most of us are. I believe him and his elegant sidekick with the x--Dr. Birx. Their best-case-scenario numbers are buzz bombs: we'll be doing well, they say, if we lose less than 200,000, a commendable target. 

I paid $1.74 for a gallon of gas yesterday. Last month I would have sung "Happy Days" all the way home. Yesterday, eh. 

What I can't get out of my mind is that tiny granddaughter who should be appearing right in the middle of the pestilence. The POTUS claims things will peak just about the time she'll determine to pin down a birthday. 

We know she's a she, and we know her name--little Charlotte. Her bedroom in Perkins is up to snuff; a couple nights ago we were given a Google Duo tour. Looks great. She'll love it. And she has a charming big sister.

We'll love her. We know that. Soon enough she'll show up in our kitchen on the little Google tele that plays pics of her sister 24/7. We'll love her too because we already do. 

Dear God, keep her safe. And her mom. And her dad. Hold us all in your hand.

Dear God.

No comments: