Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Thursday, August 08, 2019

Morning Thanks--Toni Morrison (1931-2019)




I don't know how exactly--or who--told me I had to read Beloved. I do remember having a single copy of three Toni Morrison novels--one of them was Song of Solomon--on my shelf, but I hadn't read it by 1987, when Beloved was published. My guess is that when it won the Pulitzer, I picked it up, hardcover. Beloved got amazing press right from the start.

Some time later, Christianity Today asked me to write up a list of my favorite novels, a perfectly impossible task. Listing favorite novels is like listing favorite children--it simply can't be done. What I mean is, no book I've read recently is as memorable, as Educated, the memoir by a woman born into a tormented family, a book I'd never, ever call "a favorite." I loved The Comfort Bird, the story of two Frisian families, only one of whom immigrated to America. I loved it because I felt as if I was in it. But I don't know that I'd ever call it "my favorite novel."

Toni Morrison's Beloved is a searing story about slavery, even though it's set in Ohio, north of the Mason-Dixon, some years after the Emancipation Proclamation. At the heart of things is Sethe, a runaway slave mother who seemingly left the horrors behind, but never could. She spent her years of freedom as haunted by "the schoolteacher," her slave master, as she was by the child she murdered with her own hands when she determined that death was preferable to slavery. Beloved employs the supernatural--ghosts speak from the recesses of Lethe's haunted memories and the very heart of her guilty soul.

All of that sounds perfectly awful, I'm sure. But great literature--and I'm thinking of Marilynne Robinson's Gilead here too--creates characters of such moment that they continue to haunt a reader long after the final page, as does Toni Morrison's Sethe. When a novel takes you so deeply into a character's heart and soul, into her very humanity, that character takes on a life of his or her own--and so it is with Beloved.

The character Toni Morrison names as "Beloved" seems an embodied ghost of the child Sethe had murdered rather than have her live as a slave. That character or memory or ghost is not only difficult but a powerful and a sometimes undeniably evil force.

When finally she leaves, Sethe is heartbroken. "She was my best thing," she tells Paul D, her sometimes companion who has also suffered the horrors of slavery. And then comes the most beautiful line, a final line that shines bright as eternity from the darkness of the novel, when Paul D says, "You your best thing, Sethe."

There's lots of Beloved that's no longer fresh in my memory, but that last life-affirming line I took home.

Years ago, I watched Alex Haley's Roots and therewith began to take a deliberate look at my own heritage and history. I've never read Uncle Tom's Cabin, but I'm well aware of how that novel opened eyes that had long been closed tight before. But Beloved is something else altogether, as primary to an understanding of slavery as Sophie's Choice is to the Holocaust.


To me, Morrison's Beloved is the book about slavery and its shameful horrors. If you want to understand the legacy of slavery, read it. It's not easy. Don't take it to the beach. She started her 1993 Nobel Prize acceptance speech saying, "Fiction has never been entertainment for me."

No matter. Beloved may well be my favorite novel of all time.

Toni Morrison died recently. She was 88 years old. The Swedish Academy said her "novels were characterized by visionary force and poetic import,” through which she “gives life to an essential aspect of American reality.”


That "essential aspect of American reality" makes MAGA caps ridiculous.

We'll miss her.




2 comments:

Pat Vanderploeg said...

Amen! Thank you for sharing this book with us. I am planning on picking it up and reading it.

Jerry27 said...

The following is a recent tweet from Sowell

Thomas Sowell.

"More whites were brought as slaves to North Africa than blacks brought as slaves to the United States or to the 13 colonies from which it was formed. White slaves were still being bought and sold in the Ottoman Empire, decades after blacks were freed in the United States."

I have followed Sowell over the years.

"The debtor is a slave to the creditor."

I am inclined to believe limiting debt is the one and the same resistance effort as limiting slavery. But the engine of slavery today are the privately owned central banks that collect interest from corporate fictions posing as governments. The bank of Netherlands, Bank of London, and fed (creature form Jekyll Island) are these predators. One ethno-state is in the business of using sudry devises to divide and conquer all other ethno-states -- Ethnic-Europeans in particular.

thanks,
Jerry