Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

I say, our ex walks



He'll walk. That's my prediction. I may be wrong.
"They say I have the most loyal people -- did you ever see that? -- where I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn't lose any voters," Trump said, illustrating his point by pulling his fingers into a gun shape. "Okay? It's like incredible."
It was and is incredible. 

That's how the Washington Post wrote the story after Donald E. Trump, loudmouth candidate for the Presidency of the United States, spoke at Dordt University on January 23, 2016, to an overflow crowd (literally). The 1500-seat BeeJay was full; hundreds more didn't get in; Dordt kindly offered an extra room or two for his still-forming patriot crowd.

That line is, was, and forever shall be the most quoted line to which any human being has given breath in Sioux Center, Iowa, a meme the minute it hit the internet. What he said that day has come to characterize him like no other single line. And it's still true, a year and a half after Joe Biden beat him in the 2020 Presidential race.

That loss is at the heart of things. Literally millions of Americans don't believe Trump lost, just as millions of us still shake our heads in astonishment at his messianic control of people's attention and favor. At least 100 of the Republican primary winners this spring still believe Trump won. 

This may well be the least of his sins: yesterday's hearing made vividly clear that he took in 250 million dollars from the "incredibles," those who can't get enough of him, or give enough of themselves. This is all post-election, designated for a supposed fund that would help the fight to contest the vote count. The thing is, all that money--$250,000,000--ended up nowhere near its intended target, a target that has never really existed.

That, friends, is fraud on a grand scale, mega-criminal fraud. But I'm saying Trump will walk--not simply because he always does, but because Merrick Garland, who got royally dissed by the whole Trump circle, understands too well what President Gerry Ford did after Watergate. Taking Nixon to court and forcing the nation to suffer through another divisive year-long trial simply wasn't worth doing, not when Nixon was already suffering the asterisk his resignation affixed to his name for years to come in the long list of American Presidents.

I remember that decision. I watched the Watergate hearings feverishly. I was enrolled in summer school at Arizona State University, where televisions were hung in the hallways outside classrooms so we could catch every minute when we weren't in class. 

Once President Ford took the reins, he pardoned Richard Nixon. I hated it, but I understood his regard--more and more court trials would only fester in the wounds his Presidency had created. They were more than the country could or should bear. Ford let Nixon walk. 

That Donald E. Trump is a criminal grifter has been firmly established. That he knew he lost the election but continued/continues the gambit that, even today, has the country split like an overripe melon is perfectly clear. Yesterday the nation saw his inner circle, all Republican, all the once beloved, state unequivocally that the Donald knew/knows damned well that he lost, even though he persisted/persists in "stop the steal."

He's a liar, a grifter, and a pernicious racist, and we will, whatever happens, live with the legacy he still creates from his humble abode in Florida.

But people love him. Why? I don't know. Just about 80 percent of the county I live in voted for him. In January of this year, a UMass poll found 71 percent of Republicans believed the election had been rigged. What Trump said at the BeeJay continues to frighten me because he hasn't done it yet--hasn't shot someone on Fifth Avenue. He's done just about everything else. Still, his astonishment--and ours--was and is, I'm sure, that people still love him. "It's incredible." Yes, it is.

Peter Baker, in the Sunday NY Times, wondered whether the hearings we're witnessing right now may be the only real trial our ex-President, twice-impeached Donald E. Trump, may ever see. For the record, in this one, he's losing, badly.

But don't look for him in stripes any time soon. I just wish he'd finally go away.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny you keep beating this Trump Drum. I know you are trying to take the attention away from you Democratic party that is failing in every way. Let me repeat that.... In every way.. We will read more from you about Trump because you have nothing else to celebrate or say. You have the House, the Senate, the White House, and nothing but failure. Keep up the good work, keep talking about "The Don", and try to distract us from what is happening to the average American family.

J. C. Schaap said...

I do feel that what Donald Trump begat as President is unique because he has and is a kind of evil that's unique. He has no conscience, thus feels no guilt, and, astonishingly, believes he needs no forgiveness, confessedly, because he's never done anything wrong. Biden's difficulties do not grow from an absence of soul. He has his flaws and likely knows them better than most of us; The Donald is blind to his. I hope Biden doesn't run again, not because his Presidency has been a horror--I'm sure you feel that way, but I don't; but because the job is too much for a man his age--take it from someone who is 74. We need new leadership; a Trump vs. Biden repeat in 2024 would not be best for the country. Don't misjudge my diatribes. I don't say bad things about Trump to cover Biden's weaknesses. His weaknesses arise from his humanness; Trump has no humanness. Yesterday's revelations make that clear once again: $250,000,000 from people for a cause that didn't exist. In the real world, what he did is called fraud. In Trumpworld, that's life. That's evil. When I take shots at Trump, it's not a dodge; that's the Fox News' view. Biden's got his problems--at the border, with a pandemic unlike any anyone can remember since 1917; with a war like no one has seen since WWII; and gas prices, about which neither he or any other President can do much. Trump's weaknesses begin in his heart of stone. That was and is unique. Even Nixon had a moral compass. Donald doesn't--and people somehow love him, like you I suppose, and follow him. I'm sorry. I don't, nor do I understand those who do. I'm not dodging anything.

Anonymous said...

Trump does not deserve to be compared to Huey Long, but they do share some of the same enemies. Huey always talked about “lying newspapers.”

Some say Huey was getting more mail that FDR prior to "The Second Louisiana Purchase."

https://www.truthfromgod.com/pdf/Huey%20Long%20LookInside.pdf

I always assumed Trump was a Judas goat, but I do not see any reason not to keep him in my prayers.

thanks,
Jerry

J. C. Schaap said...

After Wednesday's hearing, I'm here to say that I feel less sure Trump will walk. The committee made clear that he knew what he and Eastman (and the chosen) had dreamed up wasn't viable AND that should it come to pass, determining truth would be accomplished "in the streets." That's violence, by the way. I don't know that the DOJ can let that pass. Of course, Biden has the last say; all he has to do is pardon the ex-. Gerald Ford did.