Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Thursday, September 17, 2020

Life in the Fun House




(Forgive me. Like everyone else, every once in a while I just have to rant.)

Call me crazy. I'm okay with that. Tell me that, like so many others, my scrambled mind is terminally infected by Trump Derangement Syndrome. I won't doubt the diagnosis because by any measurement, our 230-pound POTUS proves himself more and more robustly bonkers every day.

Evidence abounds. Two nights ago, in an ABC News Town Hall that went off the rails several times before staying there
 (Trump blamed Biden for face mask madness), he told one of the questioners that no, he hadn't downplayed Covid-19, even though Bob Woodward has him ON TAPE saying he did exactly that--Trump's very words. He insisted that he had "upplayed it." Nice of him to create new words in to perpetuate falsehoods. So many others had simply become cliched.

He's thinking now that he "upplayed" the coronavirus, despite his own magnanimous fears that the truth would panic his citizen children. I'm not sure how both of those reactions cohabitate, but then it's Donald J. Trump speaking, a man whose mind really hasn't made any sense since his inauguration--which was, you remember, the world's biggest.

More news. The top spokesman of Department of Health and Human Services, Michael Caputo, another retread from Fox News, entered the Twilight Zone with a bizarre Facebook rant that warned his fellow Trumpsters to buy up whatever they could score of Walmart's ammo because some as yet unnamed demonic lib cabal would be filling the air with lead right there at the nation's Capital, at the moment in January when Trump is crowned once more. I'm not making this up. Caputo was, but I'm not. Delusion anyone? How do you spell Q-Anon?

Yesterday, Caputo apologized and determined a nice, cozy leave of absence was in order to collect his thoughts.

And that's not even yesterday's master stroke. At a congressional hearing, the head of the Center for Disease Control, Dr. Robert R. Redfield, who happens to be a virologist, a retired military medical official, and an appointee of Donald J. Trump, answered two questions with responses that didn't square with Trumpian orthodoxy. 

For the record, here's what Redfield said about masks: "I might even go so far as to say that this face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against Covid than when I take a Covid vaccine, because the immunogenicity may be 70%. And if I don't get an immune response, the vaccine is not going to protect me. This face mask will."

That, folks, is heresy.

Nor did he sound like the boss when he laid out a vaccine scenario: "A Covid-19 vaccine is the thing that will get Americans back to normal everyday life. The best defense
 we currently have against this virus are the important mitigation efforts of wearing a mask, washing your hands, social distancing and being careful about crowds."

Oops. 

When questioned later, POTUS claimed the man he'd hired, had, sadly enough, simply misunderstood the questions. Poor guy. He'd been "confused." Seriously--that's what Trump said. "I think he made a mistake when he said that. It's just incorrect information."

Furthermore, the Deceiver-in-Chief said he'd called Redfield and let him know that he--Redfield--had been quite wrong about things. After all, it couldn't be Trump who was wrong, the man who's never needed forgiveness? Impossible.  He's never been wrong about anything. . .well, once or twice maybe in his 73 years, all immaterial stuff, I'm sure. 

Let's just make this clear. Donald Trump, the falsehood's fountainhead, calls his own CDC chief to make sure that the good doctor speaks the gospel truth, Trump truth, rather than what the Dr. Redfield or the CDC believes the medical truth to be.

That's politics, you say.

Some call it totalitarianism. I just call it madness. More of it.

We're in the Fun House right now. The good news is, it's just about over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Disraeli observed that we are ruled by newspapers -- Disraeli, of all people, had warned the British that with Jews “all is race.”

Rudyard Kipling
20: Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown, ... And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.” ...

I have not listened to more than sound bites of Trump's stunts. I assume he will turn out to be a JUdas Goat of some sort. The prospect is remote that he could awaken his people to the Zionist bondage they have gotten themselves into`

I have become a student of publicity stunts.

I have a collection of definitions for democracy. I previously liked H.l. Mencken's definition -- "democracy is the idea that sooner of later people will get the government they deserve -- good and hard."

I have been toying with what might be my original definition of democracy -- "democracy means you are being ruled by assassinations."

thanks,
Jerry