Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Morning Thanks--Fat Tuesday



In my Dutch Calvinist world, there was no Fat Tuesday, no Mardi Gras, no Carnival--no feasting and no fasting either, for that matter. My people didn't need any more discipline--spiritual or otherwise--than we already exercised. We learned quickly how to operate theologically sophisticated sin detectors. We knew to train our eyes to be careful what they saw, our ears to be careful what they heard. And hands--well, let's not even go there.

We weren't Amish, didn't dress like Little House on the Prairie, didn't stick with the language of the old country or (by my time at least) didn't separate ourselves--"male and female created He them"--in Sunday worship. We weren't that uptight.

And we didn't make sure our neighbors didn't have a good time either, although we did make clear that washing a car and cutting a lawn were not acceptable Sabbath behaviors. We were suitably adept at keeping an eye peeled for sin, far better, perhaps, at spotting it in your life than knowing it in our own.

I am the child of very, very religious people; but I remember being spanked only once--and then by my mother, who later apologized and actually gave me fifty cents in reparation. The Bible was read at every meal in our household, but I don't remember ever been beaten with it. We knew the rules, but we also knew grace.

One of the most unforgettable nights of my childhood happened when I was no more than eight or nine. A young woman my parents knew well from her once having lived next door came over, distraught, full of tears and terror, because her new husband, she said, was drunk and threatening. Our home became, that night, a sanctuary. What little I understood about abuse turned into livid fear in my imagination, as I waited, as we all did, for that angry, violent husband to come for her. He never did, but her fear and mine are permanently set in my memory. 

Today, by church calendar, is a feast day. It's a day for a huge meal, for a wild party, for something a good deal more raucous than a campfire Kumbaya. It's Fat Tuesday today, the day before Lent, the day before discipline. Kick out the jams. Let 'er flicker. Trip the light fantastic. Even the Bible says, "Eat, drink, and be merry." Have a good time today, raise a little cane, because tomorrow we get sober and serious all the way up to Easter. Tomorrow we practice Calvinism.

My father--and his father before him and his father before him--didn't need a calendar to tell him or them to get serious. They were. They didn't need a ritual to get sober.

But my dad could be frivolous too. My sisters and I will never forget him dancing around in his underwear on holiday mornings he didn't have to go to the office. I get what happens in Babette's Feast, loved the movie, will never forget the grim smiles on the faces of all those dour Calvinists who suddenly sense nothing less than grace in the tastes and textures and colors so beautifully arranged on the table before them at that splendid meal. 

Today is Mardi Gras. Tomorrow is Lent. 

Maybe my wife and I should go out for dinner. But then, we'll likely go for spaghetti tomorrow night--all you can eat!--that's excess enough for day one of Lent. Tonight, Fat Tuesday, it's likely some kind of great soup--Barbara's Feast. It'll be wonderful, I'm sure.

I wasn't raised with the lectionary, didn't know the word until I was into my thirties. I considered Lent something unblinkingly Roman Catholic, like saints and statues and fish on Friday, like bachelor in black robes and bespectacled women in penguin-ish habits. 

This Fat Tuesday I likely won't be partying. But then, even this morning, missing Mardi Gras, I'm happy to say I wouldn't trade my childhood for anyone's, in New Orleans or out.

This Fat Tuesday I'm practicing my own form of spiritual discipline, I guess, just as my parents did. This morning I'm giving thanks, Lord, for whatever gifts of faith parents can give, for what gifts of faith mine gave me. 

Maybe I'll grab a donut. It is Fat Tuesday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...although we did make clear that washing a car and cutting a lawn were not acceptable Sabbath behaviors. We were suitably adept at keeping an eye peeled for sin, far better, perhaps, at spotting it in your life than knowing it in our own."

The number one criticism of Jesus was that he did not keep the "tradition of the elders." The Pharisees were experts in "keeping an eye peeled for sin" and thought they detected a culprit, Jesus.

The Dutch Calvinists self-appointed themselves both the judge and jury for right behavior and thought... after all, the perception was that they were just a little bit better...this self-righteousness created the "haves" and the "have-nots". The New Testament concept of "one-body" was thrown out the window...

The damage to the "have-nots" was and is un-measureable.... BUT, as I get older and have gained some perspective, the "haves" have their own damage to deal with... the playing field was leveled... Jesus call them vipers and white-washed walls...

Anonymous said...

One side-bar...

We need to address the Dutch Calvinist Rule for Ministers Mowing Grass.... "if a Dominie [minister] mows his grass on a day other that the Sabbath, he needs to mow it with a white-shirt on... heck, maybe even, a tie... "

Anonymous said...

Another side-bar...

Other Dutch Calvinist Sabbath day rules.....

* Keep you bicycles parked in the garage... no Sunday riding!
* Keep your roller skates in the closet... so Sunday skating!
* Keep your swim suits in your dresser drawer on Sunday... you might drown... how are your parents going to explain that to God?...
* Keep your TV off on Sunday... if you you sneak a peek at the Packer game or rationalize an episode of Lassie ask for forgiveness...
* After the evening worship anything goes... head over to McDonalds for a burger and fries or head down to the lake with your girl-friend and do a little snipe hunting...
* After the evening worship anything goes... head over to a friend's home for coffee and any fattening desert you would not eat during the week.... catch up on all the gossip you missed during the week...

Anonymous said...

Last side-bar...

Other Dutch Calvinist Sabbath day rules I forgot..... the end....

* If you hunt or fish and you want to go on Sunday...forget it...

* If you want to take a Sunday afternoon ride with your family and are low on gas, hike to a nearby town and get a couple bucks worth... the less you spend the smaller the sin.

* If you just need a grocery item on Sunday that you can not go without, head over to the Catholic grocery store at 6 corners... hope you do not bump into other violators.

* Skip getting your baseball glove, bat and ball out on Sunday... keep it in the closet... you might be able to pick up a Braves game on your transistor radio up in you bedroom...

Anonymous said...

I worked for someone who turned out to be a Dispensationalist. In due course, I heard if I was serious about Sabbath keeping I would go back to stoning people for gathering sticks on the Sabbath. I heard the Bible answer man weight in on the same issue, when he seemed to say that it might be a good idea to stone a few people for being irreverent on their Sabbath. Michael Medvid claims he will not ride in automobile on his Sabbath.
It has been enough to make me thankful that I am not saved by keeping the law.
thanks,
jh