Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Friday, May 01, 2015

Delay


The ticking of the clock sounds different, but then nothing's quite the same. The feel of the house around you--our home, our new home--is altered; there's somehow less luster, less thrill. The glory of a warm spring day is less joyous. I'm somehow less excited right now to end another school term, and far less interested in doing the hard work it takes to finish.

Everything's changed.

The only headline we could find yesterday said it this way:

Fatal 3-car crash delays interstate traffic near Lyndon Station.

The accident held up traffic along an otherwise non-descript spot on Interstate 94 for three hours while the site was cleared. Travelers going west found themselves bound in traffic that wasn't moving at all, not one bit, which had to be irritating. Meetings were missed, I'm sure, reunions postponed. No one arrived on time.

The delay was the story. There was a fatality, by the way--the story didn't mention who because next of kin. . .well, you know. Besides, he wasn't a local man, just another traveler in the interstate's constant stream. In truth, there may been a dozen like him across the face of the country yesterday.

But this one just wasn't just a fatality. This one was my brother-in-law. He was family. He was a grandpa from Georgia who, with his wife, my sister, was on the way to visit kids and grandkids in the Twin Cities, on the way to celebration.

He was a teacher, an educator, a Christian school
administrator in Wisconsin, in Florida, in Alabama, and in Maryland--and a good one. He was a man who spent too much of his precious retirement (his wife used to jibe) helping other Christian schools find good fits when they needed a leader.  You might say he never stopped working for education, for Christian education.

He was one of six brothers, and he wasn't the first to die, nor the first to be killed in a car accident. He lost a brother when he was just a kid.

He was tough back then. He was mighty tough, and those who went to high school with him still claim that if back then he was coming down the hall, other kids found ways to make room.

But he went to college and everything changed because ideas stirred him greatly. He campaigned for Eugene McCarthy in 1968, took off from school, and hit the streets a state away. He fell in love with my sister, was Dad to three wonderful and talented kids who are, as we speak, in the maelstrom of grief no one can really share. Their mother's injuries are not life-threatening. Even though it was only yesterday they were on their way to birthday parties, she has no memory of the accident.

I suppose we all delay traffic when we pass away, but this fatality is more than simply the one who held up travelers yesterday on a Wisconsin interstate. This is one I knew. This is one I loved, a gracious and loving husband to my sister, a beloved father to three kids. Five grandkids will somehow have to be told they won't see him again real soon. I wouldn't know how to do that, but someone is doing it right now. Lord, bless those parents and their kids. They're all little, but somehow old enough to understand when he will no longer return.

Bless us all in our loss, in our losses, Lord. Each of us is so much more than a delay. We're your children.

Bless those grandkids, bless my sister, bless three kids who find themselves fatherless.

Nothing's quite the same, Lord. Bless us all. And receive Larry Kooi bountifully. He was always one of yours.

12 comments:

Steve Boyett said...

Thank you for this. I am one of those who was greatly influenced by Larry (and your sister Gail). Larry hired me to coach basketball twice and that is the beginning of our relationship. The first time, he was leaving a school and the new admin chose to bring someone else in - I was devastated. However, I gained a long time friend in Larry as a result. A few years later, when his new school was in need of a basketball coach, he contacted me, and I was quick to say yes, even though I had never been to Huntsville before. We have stayed in touch over the years and every single time we talked, it was as if we hadn't missed a day of communication. To me, he was a boss, mentor and friend that I will never forget and will miss greatly. Thank you for the blog post - it was all I could find when I searched his name and am so glad to have run across this post. Prayers for your whole family and all of us who are both mourning and rejoicing...such a weird feeling.

Unknown said...

I did not know Larry well, but what I knew, I liked--a lot. My best time with him was in Annapolis--he had some good advice for us at Rehoboth. He was much respected, and served our schools so well.

But I quickly thought of you and Barb, because I knew of your admiration for your brother in law. Bless you, Jim and Barb--surely you will help this family in the depths of their grief--my tears are with your!

Cindy said...

You have beautifully expressed so many thoughts and emotions that have been with me since hearing the terrible news yesterday. What a perfect tribute to a wonderful man who moved next door to me about 6 years ago. I will be here for your sister, my dear friend, in every way possible when she returns home. Thank you for your gift of writing and allowing me to see in words what I am feeling. My condolences to you and your family.

Unknown said...

Thank you for writing such a wonderful tribute. Larry was so special to his staff at AACS. He was a wonderful leader, and a godly man. I always appreciated his devotions at our staff meetings. A verse he loved sticks with me. "They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor." I still use it when I talk to young families considering Christian education. He will be missed. Gail and the family will be in our prayers.

Bruce said...

No words can ever capture the grief that so many are experiencing today and for some time to come. Thank you for your beautiful tribute to some we loved. Along with your family and other friends, we'll be here for your sister and hope we can provide some level of comfort in the days ahead. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Kooi was my high school principal at WCA. I loved him then and recently found myself working with him on our Head of School search as I now work at WCA. My parents were close with him and his wife as they both were teachers at WCA while he was here as our principal. When I think of him, I think of his smile. He always had one on his face. I am so saddened to hear of his passing - so sad for his family and the friends who loved him. I will be praying for the entire family.
Emily Hammond Donaldson

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your tribute, Mr. Schaap. Mr. Kooi was a terrific principal to me many years ago and a good friend of my parents. He was genuine, kind, encouraging--and a true man of God. Our family grieves with yours. He will be missed, but always remembered.
Terry (Theune) Ebbeling

Linda and Steve Loomis said...

Thank you for this truly beautiful tribute. We had wonderful years at Lake Worth Christian School with Larry and Gail and their three great kids. So many fond memories to cherish always.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Gail, Mike, Heidi, and Jimmy and all extended families. We pray for Gail's recovery.

With deepest sympathy, Linda and Steve loomis, Steve and Shannon

Unknown said...

Thank you Jim for sharing this insightful tribute. Some of my favorite memories are still from our time at Dordt College.

Larry even then had that unique blend of credibility and good humor that made him the great friend and mentor that he was. You never doubted that he had your back but you never knew how or when he would weave part of you into his web of humor.
What a Legacy he leaves behind. A true MAN OF GOD!!!

Brian Fikkert said...

I am sitting in a classroom at Covenant College, watching my students take their final exam in Principles of Macroeconomics. At first glance, it might seem a bit strange that I am writing a comment on your blog from this setting, but I think it's actually quite appropriate, for both you and Larry played a role in getting me here. Larry was my high school principal, and you were my professor in college. You are both part of the covenant community that faithfully sought to disciple the next generation in the "nurture and admonition" of the Lord. Larry's and your faithfulness have born fruit in my life, and I hope that I am now "paying it forward" with the students seated in the classroom in front of me. I dread grading these exams....I hate grading....But as I mark their papers tonight, I will have a renewed sense of mission and purpose as I think about the faithfulness of Larry Kooi and Jim Schaap. Thanks for being part of God's story in my life.

Brian Fikkert said...

I just noticed that Larry Wieberdink also posted a comment in here. Larry W. is also part of the Christian education legacy....He was my principal and teacher in grade school. So thankful for all of you!

bev said...

Just keep in mind,,,, the death of a Christian, is not final,,,,, it is,, see ya later brother, we will Celebrate, a new life....