Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Monday, August 31, 2026

August Morning on the Little Rock

This morning--emphasis on this--comes from August of 2011, long, long ago. Most people in the neighborhood would recognize from this title slide--I don't know what I was making--that the Little Rock is a river you cross when you go north to Rock Rapids. What drew me to that locale is a mystery. It wasn't one of my usual Saturday-dawn haunts, not even close. I'd guess that--unfamiliarity--may have been motivation.

I spent some time trying to get this single tree on a bit of a hill because the morning sky is such a delight. The heavens put on quite a show.


But that solitary tree didn't offer a view of the river, which is what I'm sure I wanted that morning. I had to get that up the road a bit, when most of the breathtaking color was routed by the sun.



One of my favorites from this morning is a shot of a herd of cattle in a pasture, something of an oddity in the region. To catch them out like this is a treat. Most livestock in this county full of 'em are confined. You could ride down gravel roads all day and not see a pig, even though there are literally millions of them in Sioux County. There remains something spiritual about "the cattle on a thousand hills."



I stumbled on this guy just before I left. He appears to be in full control, oblivious to the humanoid toting a camera. Looks to be a red-tailed hawk--or maybe a young bald eagle, although 15 years ago there weren't that many bald eagles around yet.

I remember going home that morning, thinking there were some nice shots on that memory card. 


No comments: