Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Friday, June 21, 2024

Afscheiden 2024


It's difficult for me not to feel rejected this morning. I know, I know--those who have rejected me and so many others would be quick to tell me that they didn't reject me--I rejected them. Because I cannot accept the possibility that some gay couples might not be going to perdition for what some consider their grievous sin, I was shown the door by the Christian Reformed Church of North America, who yesterday protected itself against mode subscribing to the world's values  by condemning homosexual sex, even love, and did a great deal more than invite those of us (maybe 25 percent) to use the door to their left and leave the family. You can't stay with the church if you accept gay marriage, no matter how long and committed its gay members are or have been.

That 25 per cent will likely include me, and I'm very sorry to say that. Elsewhere I've listed all the things I've done with and for the denomination, including revising and finishing its last real history, When I was a boy, our house was a block away from our church. Our proximity, as well as my dad's denominational loyalty, brought all kinds of visiting pastors to a place around our table. Listening in to adult conversations by visiting preachers and missionaries was a joy and a blessing. It's fair to say I was Christian Reforrmed before I knew I was Christian Reformed.

Now that's over.

Why? Because I find it impossible to adhere to the dictum that all gay couples are in such clear violation of God's law that if they do not desist and beg forgiveness, they can be no longer be counted among the righteous and will therefore be bound for the pit. For even beginning to believe otherwise put us right there among them, bound for eternal destruction.

The likelihood of my being struck from the roles is very low. My days as an elder are over, not simply by choice but also, now, by mandate: any man or woman who isn't sure about gay damnation cannot be considered for office. The razzia likely won't pick up men and women, church members, who are in their seventies, as long as we don't make a scene, I suppose.

But the two minds of the church, which showed themselves years ago already, have now clearly separated, the progressives expelled.

Me too. I'm very sad.

But then, I don't think I'll ever be able to leave the specific culture I've lived in and written about for so long. Although it may be true to say I was CRC before I knew I was CRC, it's likely just as true to say I'll be CRC long after I'm no longer CRC.

6 comments:

Dutchovenmt said...

Think Psalm 84...grab the "shield" and hold tight as the future unfolds; bask in the "son" thankfully.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jim, I am shocked by this. Dirk

Anonymous said...

Well stated , Jim. With you, I too lament. Dale Cooper

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I get it. I thought you’d been dragged in front of your church’s consistory (along with a quarter of the congregation) and booted out. You’re referring to Synod’s decision from a few days ago. In that case, many of us are in the same boat, Jim.

Anonymous said...


The last years of the late Whittaker Chambers were overshadowed by a bleak pessimism of which some adumbrations appear in the pages of his Witness and the posthumous book, Cold Friday. He was convinced that the American people are actuated by a subconscious, but ineradicable and irresistible, death-wish — a subliminal longing for extinction that makes them turn in fury on anyone who tries to make possible their survival.

https://nationalvanguard.org/2024/06/universalism-christianity-and-the-racial-will-to-live/

thanks,
Jerry

Anonymous said...

Where ever you go to church this morning, may all of us be reminded that none of us escapes the pit, no matter how shallow or how deep it is, in and of ourselves. May we all celebrate that fact.