Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Wednesday, March 06, 2024

Light and Life - i




A story for lent.

In point of fact, Kenny Hays is not my brother-in-law--not by man's law or God's. He's only lived with my sister Sally, not married her, and the whole business has been almost the death of my father.

But Kenny Hays feels like my brother-in-law, and maybe by common law he is. What he's not, is my dad's son-in-law; not yet anyway, and not ever--if you listen to the old man. But neither is Sally his own daughter anymore; I heard him say just those words to Mom once, years ago, and once is as often as he says important things.

Kenny's black, but that's not the reason. Long ago when I just started in my father's hardware store I was arranging fishing lures up front when the men who come around about ten in the morning to stand around and jabber--looking over the
Journal lying open on the knife case--when those men were talking about the black guy who, strangely enough, walked into Apple Valley from the lake and was standing across the street in front of the cafe. I heard every word they said about him--about blacks. I was just a kid.

The guy was a string-bean in a cut-off sweat shirt, with a bluish tattoo against his bicep; and he had on a hat, even though it was warm for May. His boots were scuffed, as if he'd been walking through sand since dawn. That far north of the city you just don't see many black people.

My father came up from the garden department to help Jenny Wassenaar carry out a rented lawn seeder, and he heard the men talking about the black guy, about blacks in general--in fact, about black men--in words I never heard adults say before. Bill Aanders looked right in my father's face and laughed as he spit it all out·--what they'd been saying--hoping to get a laugh out of him too.

But my father didn't crack a smile. He glanced over at me as if to tell me he knew I'd heard what they said; then he turned away and walked to the back of the store, leaving the chorus of yucking behind him.

I don't think my father has written off his daughter because she's shacked up with a black man, although that may be part of it. In a little town like Apple River, to some people Kenny's being black is a worse curse than the two of them's not being married--but not to my father. To him, Kenny and Sally are living in sin, and Sally's left absolutely every last value he tried to teach her, like an empty can of pop, along the road she took to get as far away as she could in record time. There's two kids over there now, little bushy-haired boys, Mark and Bryant, whose skin is the color of hot chocolate and who talk Just like Kenny. But both of them have short legs like their mother--like I do too--and when they hop off the kitchen stools and head out to watch cartoons in the morning, their feet make the same shuffle I've heard for years when the boss walks over the hardwood floor to his roll-top in the store's back room. When I heard those kids walk last summer, I thought right away that it was something my father should know, once I dare to tell him.

*
I visited at Sally's this summer, when I worked in California. I'm on a ride with Kenny one day down to Modesto, even though he's not supposed to take riders--company rules. He works for Gardener's, an industrial delivery service in Santa Cruz, and sometimes he makes long trips with this Audi truck.

"You like dried fruit?" he says to me when we come up on a roadside out in the middle of sand hills. "I'd kill for dried bananas."

"Sure," I said. I'd tried it once when we carried some ten- dollar bags of trail mix we thought hunters might buy.

So we're walking around this fruit stand, looking at every kind of dried fruit you could think of, and Kenny grabs one right out of the bin, a little sharp slice of banana, and he sticks it into my mouth. "Lay that on your tongue one time," he says.

It was okay, kind of tasteless really, just a little sweet. "That's good," I tell him. "I see what you mean." And he puts one in his own mouth as if he's never tasted dried bananas himself, just picks a half dozen right out of the bin.

"You can buy everything here, can't you?" I tell him.

We're looking at dried apples right then--flat, donut-shaped things that feel like soft rubber when you bite them.

"In California, you can buy every last kind of thing all right," he says, chuckling at little as he rips at a piece of apple. "Whole lot more than dried fruit."

I got a hint of what he's trying to say when he laughs, so I figure I'll bring it back. "Beautiful state," I tell him.

He just shrugs his shoulders. "I grew up in a place where a boy could take out a fishing pole and spend all of a day down at the river pulling catfish," Kenny says. "I grew up in a place where there wa'n't any drugs to speak of, where we used to play ball every afternoon we weren't fishing, and where there was more than enough real air to go around--you know what I'm saying?"

I'd always figured Kenny was born in California.

"I'd move back to Mississippi in a twinklin'," he says. "People say I'm nuts, but I know what's real, see? Thing is, it wouldn't be no place for your sister."

I didn't think any black man in his right mind would would want to move back Mississippi, but I didn't know how to say that to him. "I didn't know you were a Southern boy, Kenny," I said, and once I'd said boy, I wished I hadn't.

But Kenny laughs so hard he almost loses the hunk of apple. "I'm a real Southern boy for sure," he says. "Thing is, a black man knows where he stands in the South. Go north or out here, and you don't know what's the score with some folks."

Tons of prunes and nectarines are piled up in separate bins, but Kenny grabs a plastic bag of bananas, another one mixed fruit, and a pair of fresh apricots, then pulls out his wallet by the chain, and marches up to the woman who makes change from her denim apron.

"Ain't no place for a kid to grow up," Kenny says. "They rot from the inside out. Can't find a place to be alone," he tells me, as earnestly as my own father could have. "I'm thinking about moving back to South Dakota."

I looked at him strangely, I suppose, before he busted out laughing.

I guess I'd never thought of Kenny in the same way I'd thought of Sally--as someone who couldn't go home.
*



No comments: