Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Thursday, January 06, 2022

3) Care for the earth in small ways


Ms. Warren's third authority is Kathryn Freeman, a free-lance writer and the co-host of a podcast I know absolutely nothing about: "Melanated Faith." But that Tish Harrison Warren asks for Ms. Freeman's opinion on good, substantial New Year's resolutions commends her greatly.

M. Freeman's suggestion goes like this:
Find one or two small ways to care more faithfully for creation — between last January’s winter storm and the hurricanes in November, climate change continues to disrupt and destroy lives. I want to love my neighbor by being conscious about my use and consumption of the planet. If everyone does something, those small things add up to big things.
I'll soon be 74. I don't think of myself as one of earth's great spoilers, but I can't say that taking good care of the environment has ever been my first priority. I like our new used Tacoma pickup, but it doesn't get anywhere near the mileage I thought it would. I should have checked. But then I don't put on a lot of miles either. That little Tacoma is more of a gas hog than I ever guessed, but, doggone it, I'm not.

Last night I made supper--not a great success, btw--burritos in a sauce I bought in a can, which I opened. Once I did, I tossed the cover in the garbage rather than walk that dinky little thing into the next room just to drop it in the recyclable bin. On the sly, I slipped that little tiny cover into the garbage because I didn't want her to take note of my sin--not that I would have suffered her wrath. She's doesn't harp or carp.

But I know she would have made sure that stupid little top ended up a room away with the recyclables. Not only that, but she wouldn't have been surprised that I tried to slicky-slicky it into the garbage.

Okay, Ms. Warren and Ms. Freeman, you got me here. I don't think of myself as a pig when it comes to the perils of climate change, but I'll come clean: I could, sure as heck, do better.

This year, 2022, I should try.

2 comments:

Terry Woodnorth said...

I highly encourage you and your readers to read Katharine Hayhoe's new book "Saving Us:
A Climate Scientist's Case for Hope and Healing in a Divided World." According to Hayhoe, the most important thing we can do to address climate change is talk about it.
https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Saving-Us/Katharine-Hayhoe/9781982143831

J. C. Schaap said...

Terry, Thanks, greatly! I'll check it out. I need help!