Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Monday, August 17, 2020

I'd like to understand



Let me try to do this without rancor. I want to understand.

Yesterday, Sunday, after church, and with recommended social distancing, we talked to a new couple in church, an ex-student from too many years ago, a couple of British Columbia natives who have just moved here. Great guy, great people--Dordt University is blessed to have him on staff.

So we got to talking about Covid because these days avoiding it is impossible. When the conversation wandered there, they remarked how different they were finding life in the states, having just left suburban Vancouver for a village in rural Iowa.

They were surprised, they said, by how loose things seemed to be. We'd just come out of a worship service that rotates just a few of its church small groups each Sunday, so the half-empty sanctuary had entire rows roped off. After church, we were outside, because the church much preferred that people socialize in the open air. But in general, they said, things were very different south of the border.

One of them had come to the area alone in May, looking for housing. When she'd returned to BC, she'd gone into self-quarantine for 14 days, as per a schedule spelled out in no uncertain terms at the border, a schedule that included rigid specs she had to maintain. During those two weeks, authorities called twice to be sure she was home, and visited, unannounced, to further ascertain if she was abiding by the mandates.

We left church and drove to Office Max in Sioux Falls to pick up a computer I'd purchased, on-line, on Saturday. When we got to the city, it was time for lunch, so we stopped at Panera Bread--we like the food and I always go home with bagels.

Panera Bread is a national chain. They've created a national protocol for Covid, a protocol announced in detail on their website.
Requiring Masks in our Bakery-Cafes. Beginning Wednesday, July 15, Panera guests are asked to wear a mask inside our bakery-cafes nationwide. To ensure the safety of our associates and guests, masks are required at all times, except while seated and eating or drinking. If any customer does not have or want to wear a mask for any reason, we will happily serve them via Panera Curbside, Delivery or Drive-Thru.

At the Panera Bread in Sioux Falls, that masks were required was announced boldly on both outside and inside doors. You could not walk in without noting the signage. 

Right before us in line stood a family, three teenage-ish kids, a mom and dad, maskless. They were served, got their food, sat down in the north section of the restaurant, and had, I presume, a lovely meal. Before they ate, they prayed together. The place was busy, but during the time we had lunch, this family were the only unmasked customers.

I don't understand. This morning, the numbers look like this: 170,616 Americans have died.

I want to understand. Those parents had to see themselves undertaking a form of civil disobedience. They could not have missed Panera Bread protocol. Willfully they undertook to sidestep options they could have taken--like ordering from the car and eating outside. It was a beautiful day. Instead, proudly they carried their belief, their faith right into the restaurant, testifying to something. I just don't know what.

I would like to know how those parents explained the nature of their civil disobedience to their children. What truth were they placing above all? I don't know what commitment drove them to refuse to comply with the protocols Panera Bread has developed. What's the specific nature of their righteousness?

I honestly don't understand. Could someone please explain? 

6 comments:

Aunt Jeannette said...

I don't understand either, Jim. I guess the only way you could find out is to ask the parents personally. It would have been more interesting to see how they would have acted if Panera had enforced the rule and refused to serve them.

Anonymous said...

Methinks the virus will never be conquered in the US without a vaccine because of the selfishness of the Americans. In my neighborhood in Michigan there is a sprinkling ban because of a problem with the line. Our township is worried about diminishing water pressure. ...yet on the Sabbath there they were, 5 neighbors cranking out water. People were complaining about the non compliant on social media and were immediately labeled "Water Nazis", It is in vogue to not obey authority, but look out for Self.

Luci N Shaw said...

I wonder if God will call to account those who deliberately show their independence of protocols put in place to help protect the lives of others, including the elderly, of whom I am one. I and my family are rigorous about wearing masks and maintaining distance. It's not just biblical to obey authorities and their mandates, it makes sense if we hope to make this miserable disease lie down and die.

Button said...

Jim, I watched an episode of West Wing and in it was a story about a man who was warned of flood by a man in his car, one in a boat as the water rose, and one in a helicopter, since the flood had forced him to his roof. Each time the man said, "I am not worried. God will save me." The man died in that flood, went to heaven, and asked God why he had not saved him. God said," I sent you a car, a boat, and a helicopter. What are you doing here?" I thought that the same could be said for people who refuse to acknowledge the pandemic or just think God will save them. I wonder if God would say,"I sent masks, health professionals, and told you to obey authorities. What are you doing here?"

I don't get it either.

Sue Contant said...

You always give much to ponder. Thanks. Be sure to tell M and B hi from the Contants. May they settle well and grow deep roots.

Anonymous said...

I think it's politics. People watch their right-wing media who have poo-poo'd this since Day 1. I voted for 45 and have been disgusted with his handling of this. I am disgusted with the comments of the people I live around---I used to find their ignorance endearing, now I'm appalled---they are dangerous. Just Say "No" to theocracy.