Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Morning Thanks--Any morning



Any Morning 

          --William Stafford

Just lying on the couch and being happy.
Only humming a little, the quiet sound in the head.
Trouble is busy elsewhere at the moment, it has
so much to do in the world.

People who might judge are mostly asleep; they can't
monitor you all the time, and sometimes they forget.
When dawn flows over the hedge you can
get up and act busy.

Little corners like this, pieces of Heaven
left lying around, can be picked up and saved.
People won't even see that you have them,
they are so light and easy to hide.

Later in the day you can act like the others.
You can shake your head. You can frown.

--from The Way It Is. (c) Graywolf Press, 1999

How about that for a little gem from Garrison Keillor this morning?  Makes me what could have possibly possessed me to sign up to teach next semester.  Got to start shaking my head, frowning.  Get in practice.
_______________________

The poem and that last little paragraph is a repeat from November 26, 2012, when my retirement had only just begun. It's now seven years later, and, Calvinist that I am, I'm no more practiced in "just lying on the couch" and saving "pieces of Heaven left lying around." 

Dang it. I should be. 

No comments: