Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Not funny


It's not funny, but if you giggle a time or two, I won't tell, as long as you don't tell on me

So this young mom in a suburban--she has her little daughter with--decides to make a left turn. Like all of us, she waits for oncoming traffic to pass, and who's ever behind her simply waits--not much you can do, right? 

Part of the story is that the driver is a young mom with a kid--I'll admit it. You know, innocent.

Behind her there's some guy on a black Harley. And this is Texas, too, okay? Not that I'm prejudiced.

Maybe you heard the story. Just happened last week. If you've got a motorcycle, it's not that funny either.

But this Texan is a guy, and he's not taken with this young mom's blocking traffic, so he passes her on the right and then--well, you guessed it--he flips her the bird. 

I don't know how old the child is--you'd have to check--but you don't have to be all that old to guess that a middle finger doesn't impart deep appreciation. It's crude and mean, and all she was doing was turning left.

This Texan on the black Harley must have figured he didn't get his point across, so when he passed the woman in the Suburban, he turned around (not smart) and flipped her off again. 

Road rage, they call it, right? 

Just like that, that middle finger still up, he hit the curb, flipped the bike, banged his head so bad that first responders had to administer life support. Finger up--boom!--biker down. That quick.

It's not a funny story, and I need to be forgiven for giggling. Honestly, I hope the guy is okay.

I do. Really. After all, I used to drive motorcycles. 

No, that's not a smile--well, maybe. 

Just a little one.

1 comment:

Retired said...

An old Cushman Scooter or a Bridgestone 50cc hardly qualifies as a motorcycle. Still got your black leather jacket? I thought you had a big "O" and a wooden shoe with wings sewn on it. Jeeps,I might have the color wrong.