Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Morning Thanks--a mentor


Every kid had a choice, probably still do. For their final year of catechism, every kid in our church could choose to have a mentor, or to attend a class. Back then, twenty years ago or so, one of the kids said he'd like a mentor--me. 

I should have been pleased, should have been proud. At the time, I was teaching, full-time. I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure I had to have been a little proud. The kid chose me, after all.

So we started. He came to our house one Sunday morning, and we talked, came up with a curriculum, the Heidelburg Catechism, a foundation of the church and denomination we were a part of, then started the next week with the first q and a. 

Many years before, an editor had asked me to team up with a theologian and write a book of meditations for middle-schoolers. Didn't seem tough. The theologian chose the passages and sent me overviews. It was my job to make those ideas sing. Back then, our own kids were that age. 

I soloed on a few more books, little ones, all of which did relatively well. After a couple of hundred meditations, you get accustomed to the genre. Writing devotions for kids wasn't particularly difficult, and what I wrote somehow found enough of an audience that what I did was worth my time--and theirs presumably.

So when this kid wanted me to mentor him, and we decided on content, I wandered back into the genre I knew quite well. I sat down and wrote meditations for some time, walked and wrote my way through the whole Heidelburg Catechism. What I wrote came out some time later--a book, devotions for teens. That's it, up top.

That was 2001. I know it got read; sometimes I even heard from happy readers--let me correct that: "the folks of happy readers." Maybe I should say "happy folks of kids." But I'm proud of it--was then, still am. When you write something like that, you're in it, and I am. Today, it's shelf life is well behind it. It's up here on my shelf along with a ton of other books that are long out-of-print. 

Well, I take that back. I just looked. Amazon has one left. Better hurry!

Yesterday I got a request from a broadcast ministry I used to know quite well, The Back to God Ministries, who would like to translate the Every Bit into Chinese and eventually run it on line, a e-book, free to gadzillions of Chinese speakers around the world.

Eighteen years ago, two of us sat in our living room on those Sunday mornings. He'd have read the Heidelburg q and a on tap that day--plus a meditation or two I'd written. And we'd talk--I hope all of that did some good, my year as a mentor.

Every Bit of Who I Am is a book, like so many others I'd written in the basement of a hundred-year old house in a small town in the northwest corner of Iowa. Soon enough, technology will outfit those ideas in a whole new wardrobe, an ancient language, then put those words up in a screen the whole world can see. 

Through nothing less than an act of God, those words will be out there once more looking for a continent of new readers, all of which makes this morning's thanks a slam dunk, doesn't it? Nobody's coming to our house. We don't even live there anymore. But I'm still a mentor.

I'm awed really, awed and very thankful.



No comments: