Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Friday, December 28, 2018

Morning Thanks--First steps


We were, I believe, last of our friends to have grandchildren. By then, the endless braying always included a line that went something like this--"you just wait--you'll see."

Of course, they were right. I will never forget the first moment--it happened half a continent away, in Lynden, Washington--when I saw my daughter holding her first, and our first grandchild. It was staggering.

That child stopped over yesterday before the snow and wind got going. She's in her last year of high school now, pretty as a picture, her grandpa says.

This charmer--the one a top the page--is our newest, our fourth, whose first Thanksgiving (here!) we witnessed, but whose first Christmas (there, in Oklahoma) we didn't. However, we were blessed with a photo shower--well, flood--and new wave that included this one of the fire chief (by the by, her dad's a fireman).

That bunch of pictures was a blessing, believe me, but to say we'd have loved to be there is grand understatement. Then, mid-afternoon or so, a few new ones showed up in our Google Pix Livvie account. If I were more tech-savvy, I'd show you, as any braying grandparent should; but I'm still trying to figure out how to get them into my computer. I'll have to get one of our grandkids around to tutor.

Here's the story. In the last few days, our little 11-month old sweetheart took her first steps--and we saw them, not down in Oklahoma, but right here on our computer screens, the next best thing. She's not quite ready yet for an Olympic tryout, but she'll get there soon.

I'm not sure what it is about grandchildren that makes grandparents reach for their phones and rambling on and on, but I'm feeling it right now. Sick of it? Well, pardon me for living, as we used to say.

This morning's thanks is almost a given. After a flurry of first steps we witnessed via Face Time, there's good reason for gobs of gratitude. This early morning, I'm thankful for that little fireman up there who, soon enough, will have her mom and dad running after her, putting out fires, I'm sure.  

Bless 'em, Lord--bless 'em all. And bless all those little steps she'll ever take. . .

p.s. An hour later, I figured out how to pull them out of Google's hands and into mine. Here 'tis--one of the best pictures of first steps. 

(Please forgive the braying.)


No comments: