Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Shooting in the Ice Age



Well, all right--let me be a bit sacrilegious. Global warning got you up a tree? Consider another Ice Age. 


Got to be an idiot to go out in weather like this, although, lots farther north, thousands do it to try to pull a squirming walleye out of a hole in a thousand frozen lakes. Make that ten.


I didn't come home with supper. I didn't take a fishing rod and was nowhere near a lake, although once upon a time more than one prairie ancient called this world an ocean. 


I've got more gorgeous pictures of this scrubby thing along a mud road that's not maintained. There's something in the way it stands in the pitch of this broad land that's just plain attractive, I guess. although I'll admit that maybe I'm the only one who sees it. 

The problem with taking pictures out here in the world where I live that there's honestly nothing to shoot. The Black Hills?--sure. The Badlands?--no kidding. But empty northwest Iowa fields freezing in mid-winter?--nobody calls this world beautiful

But then, I tell myself, someone certainly does. Someone in upper case. 


I consider it my office to see. It's not particularly hard work, but sometimes, like right now, it's freezing. 


I'll admit it--there's nothing show-stopping in these shots, nothing to make me or anyone else stop in their tracks. 

No matter. I'm here to say that if your can keep your fingers warm--even out here, even mid-winter--there's always something to see, always some joy, even in the cold.


You just got to dress warm, like he does.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From California :-)
Beautiful pictures-
Thank you!