Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Home (2)


This is a new thing. I knew my phone was touted as being able to shoot pictures at night, but I'd never really tried it. By the time darkness fell, that placid orange pond did its Jekyll-Hyde stuff and turned angry. I have no reason to call this angry really, but the roar outside demanded attention and made talking tough.

Once it was obvious the camera would do as it was told, I kept snapping, outside. I can't help but think there is some kind of other-worldliness in these shots, but they're fascinating--and totally wrought by the phone, a Google Pixel 8.


Lest you think the phone decided this night shot would be better in a dusting of snow, it fell that evening, just a little, like icing. 

Not to be outdone, here's a night shot done the old-fashioned way--with the camera. To my eyes, this one looks more "natural." 
 

When morning lit up the sky on Saturday, the lake had calmed, and the dawn the sky offered wasn't generous with color, even though I thought there would be an explosion way out there somewhere above Michigan. Saturday was the exact opposite of Friday, when a clear sky suffered only a far away belt of thick clouds. This morning, there was only a faraway belt of clear sky beneath huge cloudiness.


So when the sun finally appeared, it had just a tiny stage before it slipped away for the day. 


But Sunday was glorious, as Sunday should be, even before the sun appeared. 



On Sunday, some massive freighter came by, faster than I might have thought. It seemed to me that he'd be right in the eye of the dawn when the sun rose across the waves. I thought about going back in the house for my big lens, but something told me not to feature it--a bigger lens could have. Something told me that massive ship was only an ornament to the heavenly palette laid out in glory before me.

Here's the camera's version, offering a good sense of the lake's mood.


But what the phone offered created a shot that topped the weekend. This one, IMHO, is really quite memorable. I'd like you to believe it's strength comes from having been shot by a photographer who knows what he's doing.


Nope. Just blessed with good fortune: I was there at the time. All I had to do was squeeze a bit and something of what we witnessed got itself into my camera and my phone. 

A couple more Sunday mornings here:


Just gorgeous--the sky I mean.

So with limited mobility--I still can't get around well--and about a 50' beach to work from, I still had a great time. Even better than sitting there with a camera was, well, sitting there. You can't come away from a visit home, on the lake, without feeling somehow humbled by the presence of a something we call God.

It was a great weekend--and that's not counting the blessings of family. Really good to be home again.


2 comments:

Button said...

I LOVED your photos. I am so glad to live sort of near to Lake Michigan. It is a blessing.

J. C. Schaap said...

Cheeseheads will likely never get over having lost 1) the name game for the big lake; and 2) the entire UP. But then, you've got the Lions, don't you? (okay, you got lucky this year). We have the Packers (you may have heard of them?).