Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Thursday, August 31, 2023

The impetuous



I'm not at all surprised that "haste makes waste" has its origins in the Netherlands. It's such a Dutch idea, for pity sake, which doesn't mean those of us who share that heritage are good at observing its warning. 

I'd be happier if it belonged to Poor Richard, as I thought. I've never been much of a fan of Ben Franklin, after all; but I just now discovered that, in literature, no less a star than Erasmus, a humanist Hollander, first used it: "Haste makes waste."

That's me, up top, a selfie with first fruits from the muskmelon patch, a beauty too. Notice it's tannish color. I tried to abide by the first rule of picking them--if they just snap off the vine, they're ready.

It was Sunday morning, it snapped (kind of), and I came arrogantly in with this beast. It was warmed by the sun. Look at its size. Almost heavenly.

We went off to church with this beauty right there on the kitchen counter. No, I didn't pray for it --perhaps I should have. I simply determined that once home from church, I'd cut it up and put it in the fridge so, that night sometime, we could eat our first fresh, juicy cantaloupe.


It was green. It was hard and it was green, and hugely tasteless. I'd picked the monster too soon.

I cut it up anyway, gave it a proper burial in the fridge. But I was reminded, not of the humanist Erasmus, but Poor Richard, who wasn't the source but could have been. It was Erasmus the Dutch humanist who thought to teach us all the proper diligence required to make our way through life.

I'm impetuous. Always have been, and haste makes waste.

Oh, that hurts. 

I haven't picked another since--no siree. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Save the seeds. You can replant them next year.

Anonymous said...

Somewhere I heard an mp3 of Luther Pierce that the best way to meet the serious people is to go to a farmer's market.

Simpson said he moved out of the city because he wanted to grow his own food. https://nationalvanguard.org/2010/10/which-way-western-man/

thanks,
Jerry