Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

No on House File 222

KKK in Peterson, Iowa

In the late 60’s, my dad didn’t like Martin Luther King. MLK, he used to say, was a “social agitator.” What’s more, he’d say, some of King’s friends were known communists. In Wisconsin, where I grew up, Senator Joseph McCarthy, who claimed he knew where every communist in America was hiding, held all kinds of political influence.

My dad was a loving and strong Christian man who had little knowledge of African-American history. In Oostburg High School during the years before WWII, I’m quite sure no one talked much about Bleeding Kansas or the Underground Railroad. I’m guessing he knew nothing of the hundreds, even thousands of lynchings during the Jim Crow era. Back then, in most cities, schools were still segregated. With him, that would have been fine. My grandpa was an elder in our church and a passionate Christian, but he cheered for the Philadelphia Phillies because they were the last team to integrate.

But then, how many of us know that at the turn of the century, the local KKK paraded through the streets of Peterson, Iowa (see above) and maintained a proud presence right here in the county?

Some history just isn’t taught, in part because we’d rather not hear it.

That’s good, says our own Iowa state rep, Skyler Wheeler. He wants to prohibit an African-American history project titled 1619 because it’s “a complete assault on conservatives, conservatism and Republicans.” The curriculum, created in part by an Iowan named Nikole Hannah-Jones, who won a Pulitzer for her introductory essay, he says will “deny or obfuscate the fundamental principles upon which the United States was founded.”

His Republican-sponsored bill, House File 222, would ban schools as well as other institutions governed by the Board of Regents from teaching anything—anything!—from the 1619 project. Should they dare such treachery, their funding will be slashed.

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (1970) became a best-seller, but infuriated loads of Euro-American readers because it dared attempt to tell our national history as a Native people might talk about it. For instance, you may want to think of what happened at Wounded Knee as a “battle”; after all, the government still does. But every Lakota person I know calls it a “massacre,” and there’s a difference.

Rep. Skyler Wheeler wants to make America great in the way it was in the days of my parents and grandparents. Rep. Skyler Wheeler believes he needs to tell history teachers around the state—elementary, middle-school, high school, college, and university—just exactly how they are to teach history.

I think he’s wrong.

2 comments:

jdb said...

Sioux County sure harbors some interesting folks. At least he didn't graduate from Dordt.

Anonymous said...

A text book I had in grade school had a picture of a Dutch ship delivering the first African slaves to the new world. I think I "pigeonholed" that next to Darwin's theory of biological evolution.

There was a MLK center at the college I went to. Some of the students there I got paid to tutor were black Moslems from Chicago. In 1975 they wanted to learn about computers and "The Creature from Jekyll Island ."

To them (black Moslems) MLK was not a “social agitator” -- they simply referred to him as that Jewish whore. I remember to movie "Barber Shop" saying the same thing.

All my student really wanted to succeed in their classes, but there was some pressure not to be accused of acting white.
My student at the MLK center always treated me protectively, but I was not as naive as they seemed to think.

Elijah Muhammad originally wanted to massacre all the blue eyed devils. When he later said he just wanted his reparations from the Rothschilds, he must have came to the view that blacks have been as outfoxed by Jews that the Dutch have been.

thanks,
Jerry