Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Thursday, July 30, 2020

Understanding Louie



For some of us, it's tough to understand Louie Gohmert, a man so opposed to face masks that when finally he absolutely had to wear one, he blamed the mask when he tested positive for the virus. His explanation was perfectly mad, as nuts as his adamant refusal to wear one: the mask did it.

The political divide in this country is as great--maybe greater--than it was in the late 60s.
What creates Louie Gohmerts is not just blind loyalty to the President of the United States, but a view of the shape of things in this nation the POTUS touts. Whether Trump believes is a good question I can't answer. Louie does.

This lament got into my in-box not long ago. I don't believe it's meant to be deadly serious; then again it didn't leave me in stitches. Let me share a few of its abundant tears.


I Used To Be A Normal Person
  
As an American, I used to think I was pretty much just a regular person, but I was born white, into a two-parent household which now, whether I like it or not, makes me “Privileged",  a racist & responsible for slavery…
 
I am a fiscal & moral conservative, which by today's standards, makes me a fascist because I plan, budget & support myself.
  
I went to High School, & have always held a job.  But I now find out that I didn’t get my job because I earned it, but because I was "advantaged”.
 
I am heterosexual, which according to "gay" folks, now makes me a homophobe.

I don't share those attitudes, but I understand the feelings--I get the program. I am, after all, old and white and male. Me and the whoever wrote this or passed it along got things in common.

I believe in the 2nd Amendment, which makes me a de facto member of the "vast NRA gun lobby”
  
I am older than 60, making me a useless eater who doesn't understand Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat.

I'm not sure what a "useless eater" is. Maybe it's a typo. But other than that?--sure! Technology confusing? Shoot, I could add a half dozen others to that meager list.
  
I am proud of my heritage & our inclusive American culture, making me a xenophobe.

He knows how to make music from a dog whistle.
  
I am proud of our flag, what it stands for and the many who died to let it fly, so I stand & salute during our National Anthem - so I must be a racist. 

There's got to be a place in this litany for Black Lives Matter, which, here, is very clearly not said. 

Funny - it all took place over the last few years! If all this nonsense wasn't enough to deal with, now I don't even know which restroom to use… and I gotta go more FREQUENTLY!

Cute. And as someone who, since hitting the sack last night, has stood before the throne three times--and will again before breakfast, I'm sure--I get it. Cute last line. I'm giggling.

Sort of.

The reservation system was devastating to the Lakota nation and to Native people everywhere because it brought changes so immense and irreversible that, in one fell swoop, those reservations destroyed a culture and a way of life, leaving men and women purposeless and powerless.

Can't help but wonder whether a similar phenomenon is happening today to white men like Louie, who's always been "advantaged." 

It's time for him to share power; right now, time to don the mask.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try. Prefer it when you do this more.

Thanks