Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Monday, February 04, 2019

What I saw and what I didn’t


I never saw the cap, not until later. But I’ll admit my prejudices: had I seen it, my reaction would have been negative, but I didn’t see it. 

What I saw was a face from my worst dreams in those years I was a young teacher, at a time when what I faced in the classroom was the possibility of a disruption that could rankle me, destroy lesson plans, and make me spit. 

Such things happened. Once upon a time, I went after a kid, ran down the row to get him. I have no idea what I would have done had I caught him, but I didn’t because he was up and out of the room and into the parking lot before I could lay my hands on him. That kid gave me that very same look, and I chased him out of the room. Didn't catch him. He was lucky. So was I probably.

Then, there was the all-sports star, bright, big personality, spoiled rotten. Never chased him out of the room because he never quite offered me that smart-ass look. But one night, alone at home preparing for classes, I realized he alone was the focus of my preparation. All I thought about was how that kid would react to what I was planning. The rest of the class didn’t matter because if I wanted something good to happen in my classroom, I had to serve up something savory to the big man on campus. Bruce could deliver the same kind of smirk.

I once coached a kid who got slapped with a technical because the ref told me he just didn’t like the his attitude. That kid I could get along with. But even though I protested that technical, I knew very well what the ref had seen on his face, the same smart ass smirk.

And then there was Mac. He wasn’t my student but in a team teaching situation, they all were. I came to deeply dislike the kid, not because he ever did anything to me but because he wore derision constantly. He was insolent always. I honestly thought him wicked. I remember telling my wife I knew a kid who someday was going to kill somebody. He had no conscience.

Those kids’ smirks I saw in the face of that kid on the national mall, a kid right out of my nightmares. Honestly, what registered in me had nothing to do with politics or Trumpism. He could have been wearing a cap with AOC woven into the brim. What I saw was an enemy in an adolescent's cheeky contempt.

People claim there’s another side to the story. The kid himself thinks of himself as a gospel-level peacemaker—or so he told NBC. The Omaha elder with the drum and the song operates a phony online charity. I've seen that. A dozen strange African-Americans called the white kids obscene names. I read it all. 

But none of that changes what I saw on the kids face. Look again. What I see still is a smart-ass smirk surrounded by the whole ugly gang from Lord of the Flies.

The kid’s a smart ass. After a lifetime of teaching, I know that look.

And then there's this. It's part of the story. The kid I called Mac, the kid I told my wife would someday kill somebody?--today, almost a half-century later--I’m not making this up—he’s my Facebook friend. 

I need to say it because that too is part of the story.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think people need to remember that they are kids. I think that is something that you are eluding to. It seems the press and Washington are looking into kids mistakes and not realizing that they lack some of the discernment that we have as adults. Case in point when someone runs for or is in office, they look into their mistakes as kids. I did some dumb things when I was young, but that does not define me as who I am today. Kids make dumb mistakes and I blame the media for even making this a story a huge issue. These kids got death threats and all kinds of crazy things that should not ever happen especially to you people. Media should give it a rest and think about community and the right thing to do. They should not just be thinking about their ratings and huge stories no matter what the cost. Shame on them.

Retired said...

"Smirking." A perfectly normal response from a young baby-faced adolescent young man to childish taunting from an adult child beating a drum in his face.

I taught Emotionally Disturbed students who were professional "smirkers" for more than a decade. If I would have let their behavior cause me to lose self control, that would have been the end of all classroom decorum. Mayhem would have ensued. You sound like a first year teacher with thin skin.

J. C. Schaap said...

No doubt I was and clearly not as wise and loving as you.

Retired said...

Who was the adult in the situation? This is not about being wise and loving. How about some adult maturity? A snarky response demonstrates something other.

Anonymous said...

I see that same smirk on Nancy Pelosi’s face during the state of the union.

J. C. Schaap said...

"You sound like a first-year teacher with thin skin." That's not snarky?

Retired said...

Nope. Chasing a student in a classroom setting because his look bothers you is "thin skinned".

Jerry27 said...

The Amish are unto something when they forbid "graven images."

The "dead man smirking" image is suspect because it was taken without his permission.

I was part of an assembly and petetion in DC. a few years back. I heard the rule in public relations is -- it does not matter what people say about you -- as long as they spell your name right. I was pleased when I heard - without my permission - that Arron Russo put us in his movie "America: Freedom to Fascism."

I am in favor of token resistance to the extermination of Western values, but at this late stage of white genocide, the Boasian anthropology has proved to be an overwhelming Talmudic devise.

thanks,
Jerry