For years, I've been writing short essays for a local NPR station in Sioux City. It's been great for me and maybe for them as well. These "Small Wonders" air on Mondays during NPR news shows, early morning (7:45) and afternoon (4:45). The story that ran this week, yesterday, is a rerun about being on top of the world at Broken Kettle, a great place to visit early morning or anytime.
Rather than print it out, I'll just put it here. You can listen.
The pictures are from my first trip with a camera to Broken Kettle, memorable for me because I was blown away by the dawn. I'd guessed that I could get some beautiful shots because Broken Kettle Nature Preserve was a drop-dead gorgeous place. What I didn't realize--and what is in the "wonder" of the essay, is just exactly how gorgeous the dawn can be--and was that morning.
A few more shots. I'd never taken landscapes before, and I'm not exactly proud of these files. But they still do bear witness to what suddenly and quickly we witnessed that morning, the morning the essay describes.





No comments:
Post a Comment