Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Saturday, March 01, 2014

Sheer awe


On Calvin's 500th birthday, five years ago, I put together some wonderful quotes from him--well, sometimes paraphrased--by which he extolled the sheer beauty of nature. Calvin thought that each of us come to know our fallenness when we experience the glories of natural world around us; then we know we aren't God.  I threw in some Siouxland landscapes, and underlined the whole works with the Dordt College Concert Choir.  

Someone asked, lately, if I could cut it up--it was about ten-minutes long.  Today, I did--three, three-minute chunks.  Thought I'd pass one along, one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever created, IMHO. "O Lord God," all by its lonesome, is a month of Sundays. Calvin's lines are just as gorgeous, just a remarkable.




4 comments:

Slice of Orange said...

Beautiful job!

Slice of Orange said...

A beautiful job Jim!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim! I know time flies when you're having fun, but it's five years since the 500th anniversary of Calvin's birth -- not ten :-)
A.L.S.

J. C. Schaap said...

Math never was my strong point. Thanks!