Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Morning Thanks--an absent-minded professor


Pardon my glee.

Did you see this?
BAGHDAD (AP) — An instructor teaching his militant recruits how to make car bombs accidentally set off explosives in his demonstration Monday, killing 21 of them in a huge blast that alerted authorities to the existence of the rural training camp in an orchard north of Baghdad. Nearly two dozen people were arrested, including wounded insurgents trying to hobble away from the scene.
It's a Muslim version of the Keystone Cops.  I can't help but giggle.  Like I said, pardon my glee.

It's the best bit of news I've seen. Let's go through it again. At some training camp for suicide bombers out in an Iraqi orchard somewhere, a veteran car bomber teaching neophyte killers tripped his own blasted wires and blew up the entire demonstration along with most of the freshman class.

Wasn't exactly the way he wrote it up in the lesson plan, I suppose. 

The particular training camp is--was?--run by a break away from al-Quida.  I'm not making his up.  Just a few days before, the Advancement Office at Iraqi al-Quida distributed a press release saying that ISIL, the Islamic State of Iraq and Levant, a Sunni group, lost their al-Quida franchise. It was ISIL who, just yesterday, blew themselves up. 

Somehow, it's comforting to know that even Islamic militants suffer church splits.  

I don't know--maybe I should be sad. After all, think of all that blood, right?

Just the same, seems to me anytime we can get rid of a couple dozen suicide bombers by way their own incompetence, the world catches a real break. 

Give him a short life, and give his job to somebody else.
Make orphans of his children,
dress his wife in widow’s weeds;
Turn his children into begging street urchins,
evicted from their homes—homeless.

That's Psalm 109, by the way. Pardon the Psalmist for glee too, in fact. 

But this morning's thanks--odd as it is, strange as it feels, foreign as it might be, sinful as some might call it--is for a bumbling professor of death in Iraq, a know-it-all who taught nothing less than cold-blooded murder so effectively there will be no test next week.

I say, that's cause for rejoicing. 

Pardon my glee. Blessedly, the world has a couple dozen less terrorists this morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mega dittos!