Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

News Flash--Alice Munro


Just one of my post-retirement musts is in one of the boxes that surround me right now, waiting for my office furniture--my entire collection of Alice Munro stories, almost endless volumes, all of them--all of them stories!--endlessly good.

The news just appeared in my in-box. She just was awarded the Nobel Prize.  I couldn't be happier,

I'm woefully inept on world literature.  I don't know the great Eastern European contemporary writers, nor those from the Middle East.  What I do know is that no one writes a short story like Alice Munro, who, in many ways, never left the world she lived in. The great genius of her stories--in terms of accomplishment--is that she could make a short story a novel.  

There are other attributes--marvelous characterization, spiraling plots, stunning sentences--but Alice Munro is a master of economy, which is always an attribute in great art, saying least and most at the very same time.

For years I've been asked who is my favorite author, a question I don't like to answer because in so many ways I don't know.  I absolutely loved Kent Haruf's Benediction this summer, a great novel.  I also loved Me Before You--a whole different genre.  I'm afraid I'll never warm to fantasy or sci fi, but I honestly love most any lit that tells the truth beautifully.  Jhumpa Lahiri is a dream.

But here's my answer to the question I don't like posed: My all-time favorite writer just won the Nobel Prize for literature, Alice Munro.

Somewhere just outside this big picture window I face in my new basement study, I swear that if I listen carefully, I can hear music from the spheres. All is right with the world.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I heard about her win on NPR today. It has inspired me to read more of her work!