Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Sunday, September 08, 2013

Saturday Morning Catch--the heavens declare


Once I left the driveway, I thought seriously about turning around and going back to bed.  The skies out west seemed dark and angry pre-dawn, but some promise opened up in the east so I kept going.  Now that we live in the country, there's no particular need for me to go away on Saturday morning.  I mean, I've chased dawns for a decade now, and it always took some time before I could get out far enough to see what the morning promised.  Now, all I've got to do is step out the back door.

But it had been more than a month since I went out to see what I could see on a Saturday morning, so once I saw those snarling clouds I thought I'd just stay close to home--I had been thinking about South Dakota actually.  So I went south out of Orange City to see what I could find.  Turns out it I was blessed to be out there on gravel beneath the seam of rain and sun.  Saturday morning, the clouds were the whole story, the sun crashing through despite the best defense all that moisture could throw into the way.  

When I came back home, I had a ton of exposures of nothing but sky.  But then, as the psalmist says, the heavens declare the glory of God.  Skies do some mean preaching, and on Saturday morning I was right there for a glorious sermon.  

jschaap's The seam of sun and rain album on Photobucket

No comments: