Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sunday Morning Meds--Spare the rod





“thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me” Psalm 23

David takes comfort in the Lord’s vigilance.  That’s the idea at the heart of this verse.  He sleeps better, knowing the Shepherd’s weapons are poised so nothing will disturb the flock.

I’m not sure if sheep rustlers roamed ancient Palestine, but with what I know of the human character, if there was a sheckel to be made out there in the hills some ancient hombres likely pulled on Stetsons and rode out under the cover of darkness.  But even if the only danger was wolves or mountain lions, David says the fact that my God has the will and the weaponry to keep me safe is still one comforting bromide.

Sure.  That’s easy enough.

But embedded within this famous metaphor one hears the echo of another verse from the Psalms:  “Blessed is the man whom Thou dost chasten, O Lord,. . .” (Psalm 94:12).  There’s another side to this weapon thing, after all.  As anyone who lives out here in livestock country knows, sometimes cattle and hogs need to be prodded.  That rod and that staff—they’re not dedicated defensive weapons. 

All we like sheep have gone astray.  And sometimes we return, not by butterfly kisses, but by being goaded and flummoxed back to the fold.  C. S. Lewis famously said of his own conversion that he was brought kicking and screaming before the throne. 

I got an e-mail this morning from a former student who was happy to tell me that she was working hard at writing screenplays, having some success, and occasionally remembering my teaching, especially when I said that one basic rule about writing is to “write what you know.”  She wanted to tell me I was dead wrong.  Maybe I was.

She bore no ill will, I don’t think, but she wanted me to know that that rule was something she’d never followed.  “If I did,” she wrote, “I'd be writing about Christian schooling, violin practice, and the time Kenny Loggins yelled at me.”  Her note was addressed to an old prof, bringing news from the front lines.

One of the objectives of my teaching for the last thirty years has been to do what I can to nudge students like this one into doing exactly what she is doing. That this young woman is trying to turn out screenplays—I mark that as a success, even if she says that she’s never listened to a word I told her.

But this Sunday morning I feel the Shepherd’s rod and staff.  This morning, I feel chastened because the good Shepherd used an e-mail from a former student to remind me that, when it comes right down to it, in his hands I’m little more than Silly Putty.  I have this plan, after all—I have these lesson plans.  And I have experience, lots of it.  I tell the students, “Let me show you how to do this.”

But He doesn’t need me to take care of business.  He doesn’t even need my best.  God almighty wants our best, our dedication, our resolve, but he doesn’t need it.  He’s the Shepherd, after all, and I’m just one lousy sheep.

The preposterous miracle here in Psalm 23 is that I’m loved.  That’s the bottom line.  He loves every last one of his lousy sheep, loves ‘em enough to die for them.  He’s the good Shepherd, and he leads us, all of us, beside still waters.  The good news is, as David sings, “The Lord is my shepherd,” and there’s real comfort in his weaponry, even when it’s lovingly, chastise-ingly, turned on us.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can taste those lamb ribs. Along with a "steering-wheel" size frybred and a roasted Hatch green chili, It don't get any better than that.

Janet Boebert said...

I never thought of the rod and staff in quite that way - and I've had enough life experience to think about this Psalm a lot --- however, you should know how you've influenced more of us than just your college students - I've been following your blog for awhile now, and have finally, consistently, been writing one of my own. I'd love to share - it's a God/obedience thing (I'm a work-in-process....)

Anonymous said...

Hey Ted, don't those sheep out where you live also have sharp horns on their heads to protect their lambs?

Anonymous said...

It is not a dyed in the wool truth that writers just write from their experiences. TC Boyle insists that you should write about things you know nothing about because this forces you to research in ways that the experienced person would not. he has twelve novels under his belt, so he can't be too wrong on this. Reminds me of old Arnie Koekkoek, who said that the best way to learn something was to teach it. so he taught Far Eastern History.

Anonymous said...

The information were very helpful for me, I've bookmarked this post, Please share more information about this
Thanks

Anonymous said...

You need to take part in a contest for one of the highest quality sites on the internet.
I am going to recommend this web site!

Here is my homepage: Michael Kors

Anonymous said...

I really like what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work and
coverage! Keep up the fantastic works guys I've added you guys to my own blogroll.

Visit my weblog - Louis Vuitton Handbags

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beach front with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and
said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She
put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!


Here is my homepage ... Air Max One