Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Friday, March 08, 2013

VI. Things I didn't understand--A Mighty Fortress


I don't believe I will ever sing "Blessed Assurance" without thinking of my father.  He never mentioned that hymn as being among his top ten or certainly his all-time favorite.  I don't know that he ever raised his hand to pick it from the Psalter in a hymn sing, and the fact is that I don't even know that he liked it. But to my mind--and even to my senses--that hymn will always conjure him.  We sing it, and I see him.

I like that.  I like rich associations, which is probably one of the reasons--plus ordinary old- age orneriness -that I get sometimes roll my eyes at 17-year-old troubadours mouthing a microphone and telling us we're all going to try another new song this week because, golly-gee, we like it. 

I watched my father sing "Blessed Assurance" once upon a time when his singing that old hymn, lovingly, simply taught me grace.  I can explain it in no other way.  Those two words are on his gravestone as a matter of fact.  My mother must have had it carved there.  We sang it at his funeral.  My sisters and I all wanted it sung.

So when I sing it, I think of him and his legacy of faith. The hymn is a medium, an avenue to a long and treasured story.

Others hymns have similar resonance.  None are quite so personal, but images arise every time I turn the hymnal to  "Nearer my God to Thee" because I was just a little boy when I saw some old rendition of the Titanic story.  It's hardly among anyone's favorites anymore, but all I need is a mention the title and my mind plays the scene on deck when passengers ready themselves for their Maker, an effect revisited, in fact, by a solo violin in James Cameron's 1997 blockbuster.

"Now Thank We All Our God" was written from the bloody mess of the Thirty Years War by a Lutheran pastor who conducting as many as 50 funerals a day because of the horrors within the walls of a besieged city in which he was the only pastor to survive.  I swear that hymn makes my own Thanksgivings more meaningful.

"Peace Like a River" makes me cry, I swear, every last time it's sung.  The man who wrote it was doing what he thought to be God's work, when he lost his daughters and his wife at sea, on their way to help Dwight Moody with his evangelistic outreach.  That he could wrote those words--"it is well with my soul"--is to me as unthinkable as it is unforgettable.

Reciting the first q and a of the Heidelberg Catechism has similarly eternal echoes.  I can't do it without half my life replaying.

I see Martin Luther on his bloody knees or hurling his ink well at the devil when, sometime in late October, we often sing "A Mighty Fortress."  Once, years ago, when our entire community worshiped together on Reformation Day and the Lutherans were in charge, I felt like a rich man, not only because I loved that old hymn, but also because I was in the presence of two Lutheran congregations who almost had to love it even more than I did.  What a treasure.

Here's something else I picked up when I listened to Diet Eman tell her story after not hearing it for twenty years, one more little detail that, having heard it again, I will not easily forget.  

Hein Seitsma, her fiance, didn't come back.  Weeks passed before people could sift through the rubble, make sense of the ledger books of Dachau and a thousand other death camps, before anyone who survived could know which of their loved ones didn't.  She never talked much about that span of months, about what she was feeling when Hein didn't show up. The war had made her a realist, enough of a realist not to fantasize. Even so, she must have held out possibilities; but with every day that passed, the truth became more defiant.

Then she heard. He died. Starvation or whatever.  Dachau. Mid-winter, 1945. 

Then the stories started.  Survivors who didn't succumb wanted her to know what a witness he'd been in those darkest hours, what a glory he'd spread on their way through the horrors. She heard from those who must have pledged themselves not to forget, to remember, to bring whatever peace they could to those who loved the men and women, the millions, who didn't return.

And one of them told her he loved to sing "A Mighty Fortress is Our God."  One of them told her that sometimes in the barracks, hope pretty much gone, he'd lead them in yet another rendition of that fine Lutheran hymn, "a bulwark never failing."

I didn't forget the way she treasures the stories about him she heard from those survivors.  I remember her comfort. 

I didn't remember the story of that particular hymn, but now, having heard it again, I don't think I will. I don't think I can.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU, now off to my class on weatherization. We can make a difference.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your early morning writings. Indeed each hymn has its unique history but the singing of the hymn creates its own history and memories.
Jim P.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post. I would like to comment that the price of car insurance varies from one coverage to another, mainly because there are so many different facets which contribute to the overall cost.
As an example, the make and model of the car will have a massive bearing on the cost.

A reliable older family car or truck will have a less expensive
premium than just a flashy racecar.

Also visit my web blog; dating free services

Anonymous said...

I have realized that online diploma is getting favorite because attaining your degree online has turned into a
popular selection for many people. Quite a few people have definitely not had a possibility to attend a normal college or university
although seek the improved earning possibilities and a better job that a Bachelors
Degree offers. Still people might have a diploma in one field
but wish to pursue some thing they now possess an interest in.


Look into my web-site ... facebook for sex

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I've really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

Review my blog; online dating statistics

Anonymous said...

advertising and *********** with Adwords. Well I am including this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much more of
your respective intriguing content. Make sure you
replace this once more soon..

My blog ... http://www.hhh.jp.net/wiki/index.php?title=Guide_To_Online_Facebook_Of_Sex

Anonymous said...

Coming from my observation, shopping for gadgets online may
be easily expensive, however there are some how-to's that you can use to acquire the best bargains. There are always ways to come across discount bargains that could make one to possess the best consumer electronics products at the smallest prices. Good blog post.

Have a look at my webpage; http://www.cristoevida.com/fotogaleria/index.php?album=casamento-atila-mariana&image=01-Mariana-e-Atila.JPG

Anonymous said...

A person essentially help to make seriously articles I would state.
This is the very first time I frequented your
web page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular publish amazing.
Wonderful job!

Here is my weblog :: http://hooknhound.com/index.php?option=com_blog&view=comments&pid=31358&Itemid=0

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the most significant info
for me. And i am glad reading your article. But wanna
remark on few general things, The website style is perfect, the articles is
really great : D. Good job, cheers

Have a look at my web blog http://social.exgate.com/blogs/31804/36212/online-dating-site-will-allow-yo

Anonymous said...

F*ckin� amazing things here. I�m very glad to see your article.
Thank you so much and i'm taking a look forward to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

Also visit my website: dating for free

Anonymous said...



My blog: facebook for sex

Anonymous said...

Hello! I simply wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the great info you've got here on this post. I can be coming again to your weblog for more soon.

Here is my homepage: facebookofsex

Anonymous said...

Yet another issue is that video gaming has become one of the all-time main forms of entertainment for people of any age.
Kids engage in video games, and adults do, too. The particular XBox 360 has become the favorite gaming
systems for individuals that love to have a lot of
games available to them, in addition to who like to relax and play live with others all over the world.
Many thanks for sharing your notions.

Also visit my web blog cyber sex

Anonymous said...

You made some clear points there. I looked on the
internet for the issue and found most people will go along with with
your website.

Take a look at my webpage cyber sex

Anonymous said...

hey there and thank you for your information � I have certainly picked up anything new from right here.
I did however expertise some technical points using
this web site, since I experienced to reload the site lots of times previous
to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK?
Not that I'm complaining, but slow loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and can damage your high-quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I�m adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for much more of your respective fascinating content. Make sure you update this again soon..

my webpage ... adult finder

Anonymous said...

Definitely consider that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the internet the simplest factor to be
mindful of. I say to you, I definitely get irked
while people think about issues that they just do
not recognize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as
neatly as outlined out the entire thing without having side-effects
, folks could take a signal. Will likely be back to ge

Also visit my web page ... fuck book

Anonymous said...

This really answered my problem, thank you!

Check out my site: cyber sex

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for this article. I would also like to convey
that it can be hard if you find yourself in school and just starting out to create
a long credit history. There are many learners who are just
simply trying to make it and have long or good credit history can sometimes be a
difficult factor to have.

Here is my weblog: free internet dating sites

Anonymous said...

I�d have to verify with you here. Which isn't one thing I often do! I take pleasure in reading a submit that will make individuals think. Additionally, thanks for allowing me to remark!

My homepage: http://www.clubedojipeiro.com.br/jipepedia/index.php?title=Facebook_Of_Sex_For_Safe_Online_Adult_Dating

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts
you have put in writing this blog. I am hoping the same high-grade website post from you in the upcoming also.
Actually your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my
own blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly.
Your write up is a great example of it.

My page; facebook for sex

Anonymous said...

It�s really a great and useful piece of information.

I�m glad that you shared this useful information with us.
Please keep us informed like this. Thank you
for sharing.

Feel free to visit my website ... facebook of sex

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips on credit repair on
your site. A few things i would offer as advice to people
is usually to give up the mentality that they'll buy at this point and pay out later. Being a society we tend to try this for many factors. This includes family vacations, furniture, in addition to items we . However, you'll
want to separate one's wants from all the needs. If you are working to raise your credit score actually you need some trade-offs. For example it is possible to shop online to economize or you can click on second hand shops instead of pricey department stores for clothing.

Also visit my homepage; facebook sex