Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Saturday, January 05, 2013

Saturday Morning Catch


For a long, long time I spent a ton of Saturdays in the Tracker, chasing the dawn through windswept hills west of town, beautiful hills cut by rivers and some long ago glacier on the far west edge of what is now the state of Iowa. It was a joy to play hide and seek with the landscape's sheer beauty, a landscape often scorned by just about everybody--and with good reason. Tons believe, and they're not wrong, that there's nothing here--no mountains, no forest, nothing to mar the monotony of an endless prairie, save a couple thousand hog confinements.  

For the last six months I haven't ventured out much, largely because deer walk past our patio door with regularity. Acrobatic squirrels both entertain and anger me, and birds constantly delight. Somewhere out back a woodchuck's got a home, and some four-legged knocked out a doorway to an old dog house. When I looked inside this afternoon, that very someone had made a home in the straw inside.

I'm in the country.  I don't have to get in the car to go there. A couple times a week we walk through a woods along the Floyd River, quite regularly disturbing more deer. I haven't felt the need to hunt for beauty because it's all around me.  Every morning I see a broad dawn sky right there outside our kitchen window.

This morning I got in the car and went east, where there are no hills. The dawn was nice--not drop dead gorgeous, but very nice; and the land, this morning, was still wearing its first snow like something treasured. It was a great morning, and I was glad I went.  Finding beauty--tracking it down--is still a blessing, at least for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jim:
Those pics are great! As I viewed them my mind went to Romans 1.

Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

As you know, I live about 4-5 hours straight east of where your at in the hill of Crawford County WI. The terrain could not be more different with wooded rolling hills and the Mississippi River bluffs providing stark contrast to the table top you are perched on.

Both are not to be described aptly by human words and both show his eternal power and divine nature.

One nature lover to another.

Romey