Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Old letters



I think the setting is important: an old man is just talking with his son, who's likely not a kid himself.  They're talking, these two.  Listen to the story.

His Elderly Father as a Young Man  

by Leo Dangel

This happened before I met your mother:
I took Jennie Johanson to a summer dance,
and she sent me a letter, a love letter,
I guess, even if the word love wasn't in it.
She wrote that she had a good time
and didn't want the night to end.

They're both, well, older.  I don't know that I would have talked to my son much about my old girlfriends when he was a kid. This isn't some facts-of-life about dating.  They're both too old.

At home, she lay down on her bed
but stayed awake, listening to the songs
of morning birds outside her window.

Jennie wrote him a very sweet letter.  It's no wonder he remembers. I'd remember too.

I read that letter a hundred times
and kept it in a cigar box
with useless things I had saved:
a pocket knife with an imitation pearl handle
and a broken blade,
a harmonica I never learned to play,
one cuff link, an empty rifle shell.

I got a bunch of useless things. Trust me, I know--we just moved. That cigar box holds meaning to no one on the face of the earth but him--and me--and us.  It's no Holy of Holies; what's in it could get tossed tomorrow and nothing about his life or mine or yours would change course because life is good anyway even without those memories. This old man would just keep marching down the path he's on should that pocket knife or the empty rifle shell suddenly disappear.

When your mother and I got married,
I threw the letter away -
if I had kept it, she might wonder.

Sure. Makes sense.  Tossing that sweet thing was, by all measures, a nice thing to do for a woman he loved.

But I wanted to keep it
and even thought about hiding places,
maybe in the barn or the tool shed,
but what if it were ever found?
I knew of no way to explain why
I would keep such a letter, much less
why I would take the trouble to hide it.

This poem--this morning's offering from Writer's Almanac--isn't a lament either. He's not mad. He's not saying he wished he would have married sweet Jennie, nor is he angry with the son's mother for prompting him to destroy that note.  That's not why he's saying what he is.  What he's testifying to is a little mystery of life he's stumbled on.  "Isn't that something?"--he says to his son.  "Isn't that odd?"  The letter is long gone, but it never left his heart, even though the woman did an entire lifetime ago.  "I knew of no way to explain why/I would keep such a letter. . ."

Sometime during those years when our kids were teens, I remember hearing some well-meaning Christian preacher-types claim the way our kids date damages their futures. Your children shouldn't date someone you didn't think they should want to marry, they said.  It's that simple.


Sure. And wouldn't it be nice if life were so uncomplicated? 

It seems to me the old man in this poem did the right thing. He saved Jennie Johanson's sweet letter, savored its treasures; and when he got married, he thoughtfully left it behind.

But what he's telling his son, years later, is that he never really forgot that note--"isn't that something?" 

Mysteries make life itself a whole lot more complicated all right--and a whole lot richer.

Even Christian preacher-types have 'em.  The truth is, we all do.  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd certainly donate to this superb blog! I guess for now i'll settle for book-marking
and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward
to fresh updates and will talk about this blog with my Facebook group.
Chat soon!
Also visit my page - comprar perfume

Anonymous said...

His character was worth noting by example, his memory still in tack at his older age, giving his son advice about how to make a decision about a "harmless" letter, that is best left in the files of the memory where only he can read. Really enjoyed the story that lets one ponder and wonder what was in that letter?

Anonymous said...

The defеnse, likе Pittѕbuгgh's, has aged. Be sure to do a proper market research about that product as well as smartphones and smart TV s. Step #2: Train your people on how you want to be successful in this venture. It also includes embarrassing attempts by Reilly to try Nude business Bicycle Racing, Zorbing, Extreme Ironing, the World Rock Paper Scissors Championships and an unfortunate week on a regular, if not most, people. What amount of initial investment is needed? This is plutonium-grade hokum.

My web blog ... cincinnati internet marketing

Anonymous said...

2 No other seo company can help your business. You may have
heard about Susan McBride, the civil servant in Detroit who recently won a $100, 000 settlement with
the City of Detroit simply failed to address her
concern seriously. In addition, Facebook already offers integration with sites like Foursquare and Yelp,
but on other websites. Browsing for the company's website to get additional traffic. Like news, sometimes blog post will appears in the tenth page of about one million relevant results, chances are that searchers are going to do this.

Check out my homepage search engine marketing agencies

Anonymous said...

Clear the Toxins detoxify the body program that has been used to assist in weight loss, increase aging and cause lethargy,
lung complaints and allergic reactions. Every little toxin in your world is
one that your body is actually thirsty! Surprisingly non-exotic and obtainable, the list includes blueberries, cruciferous vegetables lettuce to you and me, dark chocolate, spinach,
parsley, and 1 cup of water. Glisten Plus capsule can be easily purchased from leading
online health stores.

Also visit my website :: how to remove toxins from your body

Anonymous said...

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to
do it for you? Plz answer back as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. kudos

my web page - Surgery Games For Kids