Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Swan Songs VIII--E.A. Poe


There's no one like him, really, in American literature.  He's an anomaly.  If you follow the traditional stream of America's literature, a stream that begins with the Massachusetts Puritans, with Bradford and Winthrop, Cotton Mather, and Jonathan Edwards, Poe is just, well, "out there," a madman who unlike so many of his Romantic peers has no bone to pick with Calvinism and nothing substantial to say about God and providence and sin or any matters of this world, for that matter.  He's just simply a guy with a blood-red dreams and a penchant for scaring the willies out of people.

I'm not up to snuff on movies, but just about every late October Hollywood spins out a half dozen new horror flicks, prime for the season.  Halloween ain't what it used to be, of course, but that doesn't mean that American audiences don't get a good hanker to get the beejeebees scared out of them right about the time they see a harvest moon.

Paranormal Activity III--saw the trailer last night as a matter of fact.  It didn't seem particularly compelling, at least to me, but it's here or will be just about ghost-and-goblins night.  Friday the 13th, anything by Stephen King, the Twilight Zone--the whole boatload of America's shuddering horror shows begin with Edgar Allen Poe.

Not only that, but Sherlock, the Brit TV series of high acclaim, itself built on Arthur Canon Doyle's most famous detective, is also a Poe descendant because he's the grandpapa of murder mysteries too, with his brilliant Dupin--"The Murders in Rue Morgue" and "The Purloined Letter."  We have Poe to thank for horror and mystery.  It's just lucky he never really grabbed a horse and went west or he'd have done the OK Corral long before there was one.

And then there's his sad bio--another brilliant artist somehow unfit for this world.  Poe people are still trying to determine just how it was he died. What we know is that it wasn't pretty because by the end he was a wasted soul.  He drank, did drugs, played with his life and health as if they were little more than a pittance.  When he died, he was a no one, despite everything he'd done, everything he'd written.

American lit wouldn't be the same without him, even though there's no one else like him.

Last time through him today.  Last time with his jingling poetry, his harrowing tales, his madman narrators.  Last bizarre trip into his freaky horrors.  The man thought he'd done his job if he lifted the poor reader out of the miseries of this life and into an imagined nether world where the dead walked and hearts dug from human chests wouldn't stop their infernal beating.

I've often wondered why self-righteous evangelicals don't go to war with Edgar Allen Poe like they did with J. K. Rowling or, before her, Madeline L'Engle--get Poe out of our lit books, for pete's sake, because he's corrupting our youth with his evil dispensations.  All he wants to do is welcome us to his infernal nightmares.  He wants us all as crazy as he was--get him out!

Besides, so what?  Everything he ever penned is little more than an elaborate, Rube Goldberg haunted house, a bizarre musical that really is nothing more than a fancy way to say "boo."

But he's Poe.  Where would be without him?  All we'd have is the transcendentalists, mid 19th century, a bunch of yahoos holier than thou.  Think of it--Emerson, Thoreau--and their dark alter-egos Hawthorne and Melville.  Thank goodness there's Poe to keep you awake.

But we only need one of 'em.  Another would be too much.

Today, for the last time, in class we'll talk about Edgar Allen Poe, bless his madman's soul.

One of the people I'd like to read when I retire is Emily Dickenson.  Everything.  All the poems, all the biographies.  I'd love to read everything there is to know about "the belle of Amherst."

Poe?--nope.  I'll never read him again.

But just the same.  I'll always know he's there, ready to pop out of bad dreams, ready with a fiendish laugh, and a creaking door, bad hinges on an ancient coffin.  He'll always be there to drive me mad.

What a hoot.


18 comments:

dutchoven said...

Ode to a Swan(or retiring prof;

"...as if his soul in that one word he did outpour. Nothing further then he uttered - not a feather then he fluttered - Till I scarcely more than muttered `Other friends have flown before - On the morrow he will leave me, as my hopes have flown before.' Then the bird said, `Nevermore.'

Pryorpostsindia said...

Ambrose Bierce is my favorite "one-of-a-kind" American writer.

Anonymous said...

I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren't already
;) Cheers!

Here is my website :: www.spurse.org

Anonymous said...

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog
that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

Here is my web blog; Bukkit Minecraft Server

Anonymous said...

Does your site have a contact page? I'm having problems locating it but, I'd like to
shoot you an e-mail. I've got some suggestions for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it improve over time.

My blog ... Bukkit

Anonymous said...

Hi! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are
you using for this site? I'm getting fed up of Wordpress because I've had issues with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

Also visit my blog post ... Wraeclast

Anonymous said...

I needed to thank you for this great read!! I absolutely enjoyed every little bit of
it. I have got you bookmarked to look at new stuff you post…

My page adwords tutorial 2013

Anonymous said...

I am really impressed along with your writing talents as smartly as with the structure on your weblog.
Is this a paid topic or did you customize it yourself? Either
way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is
rare to peer a nice weblog like this one these days.
.

my web-site - Marvel Heroes Open Beta

Anonymous said...

I know this web page provides quality dependent posts and additional stuff, is there any other web page which provides these stuff in quality?


My blog - Google Keyword Tool

Anonymous said...

Normally I do not read post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up
very forced me to take a look at and do so! Your writing taste has been
amazed me. Thanks, very nice post.

my blog post; Game Dev Tycoon Lets Play

Anonymous said...

Hello, Neat post. There is an issue together with your web site in web explorer, would test this?
IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a large section of other folks will omit your fantastic writing
because of this problem.

my web page: Minecraft Bukkit Server

Anonymous said...

of course like your website but you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts.
A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very bothersome to inform the reality
nevertheless I'll surely come again again.

my homepage: Minecraft Gameplay

Anonymous said...

Right away I am ready to do my breakfast, afterward having my breakfast coming
yet again to read other news.

My blog post - Bukkit 1.5.2

Anonymous said...

Wow, this paragraph is good, my sister is analyzing these kinds of things, so I am
going to tell her.

Also visit my page: Keyword Research

Anonymous said...

Why viewers still make use of to read news papers when in this technological world the whole thing is presented on web?


my site :: Mbox

Anonymous said...

Thanks in support of sharing such a pleasant thinking, post
is fastidious, thats why i have read it entirely

My webpage ... Dota 2

Anonymous said...

I have been browsing on-line more than three hours nowadays, yet I
never discovered any fascinating article like yours.
It is pretty worth sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web can be much more helpful than ever
before.

my web page Superhero Game

Anonymous said...

You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet
for more info about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this site.


Also visit my weblog: Paper Please Beta