Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Morning Thanks--faith and courage

Yesterday's NY Times included a op-ed piece by Karl W. Giberson and Randall J. Stephens, both of them professors at Eastern Nazarene College.  What the two of them assert is that not all evangelicals bang the drum the way many do, that it's possible to be a bible-believing Christian, a follower of Jesus Christ, and not talk like so many on the right.  

I'm not interested in playing a victim card, but I know very well that it is sometimes very difficult for those of us who do not see the world as the religious right does to exist comfortably even in a dark corner of that world.  Very difficult.  

Giberson and Stephens speak for me, too.  I don't even know some of the evangelical leaders they talk about, but I certainly concur with where this article goes.  To me, what they said was liberating.  For some at least, life isn't always comfortable in the religious fortress.

You can read the essay here.  Honestly, my morning thanks are for them, for their faith and their courage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a good article. I've been to the Creation Museum in northern Kentucky and have met Ken Ham; the museum and its founder are both thought-provoking. But,as the authors say, the museum does create a dichotomy between reason and faith. Why should these be separate?