Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Monday, October 03, 2011

Catherland, Nebraska


So it turns out, finally, that much of the trip one takes to Catherland, to south-central Nebraska, the place where Willa Cather grew up, tends to retrace the life of one of her own central characters, Antonia Shimerda, from the wonderful old prairie hymn My Antonia.  


I've taken students out there a half-dozen times, but never before did I so greatly realize that the pilgrimage to the wide and wild red prairies Cather loved is as much about Antonia as it is about Cather, who left Red Cloud, NE when she went off to college and never really returned.  It's the tireless, heroic Antonia, the prairie-earth mother, who stays, who bears eleventy-seven children, who works the land with her husband, and, who, finally, is buried there, not all that far away from the desolate place she and her immigrant Czech family first put down tenuous American some roots.

If you take the drive out into the country, to the Divide, as Cather herself called it, you'll see where the Cathers, fresh out of the American South, determined to live on this endless, untamed, and often unforgiving country.  It's a chunk of rolling prairie that had just been bailed when we ambled up on Saturday, a piece of ground so incredibly featureless that if it weren't for a half-buried sign and my memory of where it sits exactly, we could well have taken that dirt road right on past it and never noticed it was there.

Of course, Cather lived there only a year or so before her father moved to town, having realized he wasn't the farmer he thought he could be when he grabbed all that cheap land.  But the Pavelkas stayed, even though Anna's own immigrant father ended his American homestead experience vastly more tragically than Mr. Cather, when Pavelka shot himself in the barn on the dirt-poor homestead where he lived with his newly-arrived family.  

At just thirteen years old, Anna Sadilek left the country to go to town and work for a well-to-do family.  The Cather tour takes you into that fancy old 19th century house just a block west of the Cather's town place.  There, behind the kitchen, in a back room so small you can barely turn around, sits a bed where Anna slept, a working girl from the country, a child in the big city of Red Cloud, population 1500. 

There's more.  On a dirt road just outside of town, you can still stop at the grave of the man who got her pregnant when she shouldn't have been, before she was married, a pregnancy that meant she had to return, for a time, to her mother's place in the country.  


And there's an end.  Just up the road from where she and her husband are both buried, in nearby Bladen, Nebraska, you can still walk around the house where the two of them put down their own solid roots in the tough Nebraska earth.  Out back of the house, you can still swing open the tall white doors of the cellar made famous in the final words of the novel, the womb-like dugout from which all those hearty farm kids emerge.

Really, a trip to Catherland, to Red Cloud, Nebraska, is as much about Anna Sadilek Pavelka as it is about the somewhat mysterious, Pulitizer Prize winning Willa Cather, Red Cloud's most famous citizen.  But that's okay.  

It's said that, once upon a time, Sarah Orne Jewett told Cather--they were close friends--that Cather ought to abandon the idea that she had to sound like Henry James and instead just write the stories she'd learned as a child on the Divide, on the broad land where she'd been blessed to grow up.  That advice led her to consider the life of her old friend from the country, Anna Sadelik Pavelka, who became My Antonia.  


That great novel is a love song to the Plains, to the women who lived there, who worked in the quiet conviction that life, no matter where it was you happened to be set down, was there to be lived.  My Antonia is a gift from a wonderful writer who left the country and never married, to a blessed farm wife who stayed and did.  It's a novel full of love for a place and a person, a heroic woman in red prairie grass.

Somehow, I think, if Cather herself knew that our trip out to Red Cloud was as much about Anna Pavelka as it was about Willa Cather, she wouldn't mind at all.

We were there Saturday, a bunch of us, two profs and a nine students.  I won't speak for anyone else, but I came home blessed.    

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this entry. Anna Pavelka was my Great-Great-Grandmother. I adore the family photograph you included - one that I actually have never seen before. The picture of the house brought back strong memories of our trips to visit my Great-Grandmother, Toni, in Blue Hill. You have no idea the amazing energy reading this blog has created within me. I am forever grateful.

amybalmanno@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Very shortly this web site will be famous amid all blogging and site-building people, due to it's good content
Take a look at my web blog : design

Anonymous said...

Heya outstanding website! Does running a blog such as this require a large amount of
work? I've virtually no knowledge of coding but I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyhow, if you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is off topic nevertheless I simply needed to ask. Thanks a lot!
My site :: Tao of Badass

Anonymous said...

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
The words in your post seem to be running off the screen in Firefox.
I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to let you know.
The layout look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon.

Kudos
My web blog ... click through the following website page

Anonymous said...

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend
your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog website?
The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept
Also see my web site > wedding insurance comparisons

Anonymous said...

Simply desire to say your article is as surprising.
The clarity in your post is just excellent and i can assume you are an expert on this
subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed
to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and
please keep up the enjoyable work.
Also visit my homepage Gambling

Anonymous said...

This is my first time pay a visit at here and i
am really pleassant to read all at alone place.


Review my weblog - dumbbells weights
My webpage: dumbbell set adjustable

Anonymous said...

Why visitors still use to read news papers when in this technological world everything
is existing on web?

My web-site low cost auto insurance california

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the most vital info for me. And i
am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The web site style is great, the articles is really excellent : D.

Good job, cheers

Here is my web site: Producer

Anonymous said...

This design is steller! You most certainly know how to keep a reader amused.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well,
almost...HaHa!) Excellent job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.

Too cool!

my weblog www.wildpartygirls.org

Anonymous said...

We stumbled over here by a different web address
and thought I may as well check things out. I like what I see so i am
just following you. Look forward to looking into your web page
repeatedly.

Here is my webpage :: cfnmfever.net

Anonymous said...

I'm extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it's rare to see
a nice blog like this one these days.

My blog :: xxx-fuck

Anonymous said...

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article.
I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info.
Thanks for the post. I'll definitely comeback.

Feel free to visit my webpage: xxx pussy pictures

Anonymous said...

Hello there! This is my first visit to your blog!

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative
in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us useful information to
work on. You have done a extraordinary job!

my homepage - www.xxxhardcoretubes.com