Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Morning Thanks--short shorts




Okay, I know it's not that big of a deal or that it's going to affect me greatly for what years the Lord in his mercy ultimately allows me or that it will somehow alter the direction of history; but the fact is, I'm thankful for the hottest men's fashion news this summer--to wit, that shorts are getting shorter. Cheers my soul, in fact.


For one thing, shorter shorts will make those ancient basketball uniforms I and millions of others used to wear look less, what? less goofy--less fruity. Back then, we were men, not weird. More importantly, for an old man or a kid, those huge, awful baggies are simply less comfortable--or so it would appear to me.

Take it from an old guy--the demise of baggie shorts is further proof that if you live long enough you don't have to dump those skinny ties. All things must pass, and the only thing constant is change--you can quote me on that.

Here's the problem. A man like me, not blessed with great legs, might well cover up better in a pair of these,


all that denim covering ye olde thunder thighs--assuming, of course, that someone from the fashion police didn't arrest me first or my wife simply shoot me.

The fact is, at my age any new fashion trends don't affect me greatly. Nonetheless, I'm glad they're back--shorts. Not short shorts either, just those comfy half-pants we used to call "shorts," and I'm happy those billowing pantaloons are on their way to the Salvation Army. May they rest in peace.

It's the kind of fashion trend I like. Won't cost me a dime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Today the Quest home page featured a report by Andrew Damph, AP Sports, stating that there would be no new world records in men's swimming because of a new ban on rubberized body suits last year. Swimmers were forced to wear textiles again. "Dutch coach Jacco Verhaeron noted that in the 100 meter freestyle Pieter Van den Hoogenband's world record of 47.84 seconds would still stand without the seven marks set in 2008 and 2009. Pieter's record came 11 years ago." It was suggested that changing the rules again would bring men's suits on line with women's apparel so manufactures could display their logos on men's chests. One can no longer claim that the Dutch Golden Age is past as far as men's swimming shorts are concerned. Lets all go back to the good old days when men wore logos on their chests.