Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Saturday Morning Catch

Seventy-some years ago already, a Lutheran Orphan's home at Beloit, IA, closed its doors. Some remnants remain, including a huge old barn and the administration building; but mostly what was once there is gone. A stone marker out in the Beloit cemetery commemorates the children who died there, most from marauding plagues of influenza--forty some kids.

The kids weren't, by definition, "orphans," really; they were kids whose parents couldn't raise them--for whatever reasons. Sometimes their time at the home was relatively short because Dad got himself a job and could support them once again. Sometimes, they were there until high school or later.

I wanted to see the stone and the place close up, so that's where I spent most of my early Saturday morning. Most of the shots are from the cemetery, even though there's only one of the stone I wanted to find.

Rarely do I see coyotes, but this morning a pair, oddly enough, but they weren't particularly interested in posing so the pics a dud.

As always, there was far more beauty out there--gossamer fog all over after a few days of rain--than I could get in a camera.

video

No comments: