Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Art of Life


Somewhere along the Heartland Trail, just north of Walker, we came upon a small colony of these little things, a bunch of them, fragile little plants of some type (don't know what) that were actually breaking through the blacktop. Amazing. Hard-headed monsters, stubborn as heck.

Whenever I see such a thing, I'm reminded of an old Malcolm Muggeridge cold-war era line that goes something like this (can't remember it exactly): if the earth itself were layered in concrete, someplace, somewhere, some small green plant would break through. That's faith.

I know he said it better, but I can't find the quote.

I did find this, however: "Every happening, great and small, is a parable whereby God speaks to us, and the art of life is to get the message."

And that line will do for morning thanks this morning. I'm going fishing.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Jim:
Looking at the photo that you supplied, I'd say that the plant to which you are referring is known as sand rush or horsetail, a primitive plant of very ancient origin.

Anonymous said...

Ja, they're full of silica... so also used to be called scouring rushes, after their common use. Maybe they are harder than asphalt?