Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Saturday Morning Catch

A turkey hunter, in full camo gear, helped me decide that the place where I was headed was not going to be a welcoming spot for Saturday. I went north a mile instead and didn't suffer a bit. Down near the horizon, the sky was vibrant with color, and once the sun rose I went down to the banks of the river to take a walk and see what I could see.

The air was colder than the water, so a fine mist rose from the Big Sioux; but the naked morning sun pulled out color I haven't seen for some time. I'm always amazed that whatever shots I take don't capture the beauty that was there. Maybe that's what pulls me back every Saturday morning I can make it: I try to do the impossible--capture the art of the Creator of Beauty.

But then, in many ways, don't we all?

I'm not sure if that turkey hunter got what he was after. I did hear a couple of shots. Mine didn't make a sound.

_______________________________
p.s. There are a few shots here from a Thursday night sunset. With classes over, I've been set free--sort of. Intermittent rains had filled the skies with all kinds of dramatic cloud structures for a couple of days, and the lure drew me out two nights. Wednesday was a wash out, but Thursday I hustled to a favorite place and grabbed a couple of inches of a spacious, gorgeous palette.

No comments: