Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Friday, April 17, 2009

The Scots star


Quite frankly, I don't care that the whole story deconstructs into a cynical script without too much hard work. And I don't care either that her handlers manipulated an audience (and us) to think that the near-50 year-old-woman was a frumpy clown, a buffoon, the kind of dumb belly-fl0p that shows like American Idol like to haul out in the opening rounds, as if to give the impression that, at least initially, even the idiots get a chance.

And I don't care if humanity is a sucker for underdog stories, and that those kinds of stories are stupid and thoughtless, like Slum Dog Millionaire. Furthermore, I don't care if some base instinct in me sees my own failures in Ms. Susan Boyle--and likewise identifies the hopes of my own triumphs in the shocking reality of her very, very real talent. I don't care if some academically privileged psychologist claims the ovation she received was so touching to all of us because really it was meant for each of us, losers all.

Quite frankly, I don't care about any of that.

If you're among those few who haven't seen the video of Ms. Boyle, the British talent show competitor, see it for yourselves. It's food for the soul. Forget the wingnuts on both sides of political civil war presently raging in these so-called United States; just spend seven minutes watching this woman change hearts, and it'll do yours good.

Tomorrow, of course, we'll go back to the war; but for right now, grab the Kleenex and play it again, Sam. That clip is fabulous.

She's a reason for thanksgiving.
_________________________________________

2 comments:

Annie said...

This sure has reinforced the old adage, 'don't judge a book by its cover.' She truly is talented. And how fun it was to see Simon speechless!

RickNiekLikeBikes said...

I loved it. And why do we have to go to two sides of one political story or another again tomorrow? There aren't enough inspiring stories to go around?