Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Praise Band: the movie


I've never been a big fan of praise bands, in part, I suppose, because some newly energized folks who love them have assumed them to be, in a way, the real contemporary saviors of the church, rescuing all of us from enslavement to tradition, Fanny Brice, and a cold, stone face. Salvation comes from Robert Schuller in raggae. When done well, praise bands rock--no question. When done well, they inspire some or many. But even when done well they only deliver the goods in a different way, a medium and fashion that tends, frequently, to glorify the singer as fully as the source of the song.

Call me an old fart.

But there's no accounting for taste, and I've lived with praise teams for years, confident that others--good believers--love them dearly. Many of the folks I live with would call me, theologically, a liberal, I'm sure; but when it comes to what goes on in worship, I'm an arch-conservative, even though (other than this morning) I maintain silence.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised to be the arch-villian in the latest evangelical film. I voted for Obama, who, according to Fox News this morning, hasn't gone to church in 11 weeks and has now pronounced that our country is no longer a Christian nation. "Is there a connection?" asked this morning's Foxy flavor of eye candy. Those who watched it all with me in the gym this morning know full well that in early ovember, I caved, big-time, to Satan. And, once again, this morning, they told me so--forgetting, I guess, that Reagan never went to church at all.

Anyway, the latest evangelical film is called, simply, Praise Band. It follows the heroic battle of a long-haired St. John of the Cross, a kid with a guitar who, after all, just wants to praise the Lord but who finds himself confronting the monsters of tradition, who, empowered by Satan, keep him off the stage. Their resolute idolatry to "the way it's always been done"--and to flat out stupidity--is the sin the praise band confronts. They want an end to "Just As I Am," I guess, and a progressive turn to any melody in a hard beat whose first line includes the "awesome."

It's no darn wonder that more and more evangelicals are lost these days, no idea what on earth and in heaven is up anymore. For the time being at least, I guess the enemy is those fat old farts in the pews who don't like praise teams--like me, I guess, even though I never really fought 'em all that defiantly. Here's high moral truth: a rockin' praise band is the key to making America a Christian nation again.

May a thousand flowers bloom.
______________________
Here's the trailor:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8527724014623501636&ei=4KXcSY_nJ4zUqAL8stSZCg&q=Praise+Band&hl=en

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're an old fart. :-)

Barb Taz

Klomp said...

As much as I like to listen to old hymns sung by George Beverly Shay (BTW, he just had his 100 b-day). I also like the up-beat music of Praise bands. Their are many avenues to worship our LORD, and I do believe HE loves them all.

Anonymous said...

The Men of Harmony, Praise Groups, Charity Church Mouse, or solos from the choir loft at the CRC in the Big "O" all worked for me. Gordy O. was a little over the top.

Your piece reminds me of a big issue from our younger years:"Black Socks, White Socks or No Socks At All"- Article from the Bananner

Romy

RickNiekLikeBikes said...

I'd like to worry less about sections of worship and more about what it is to enjoy God.

RickNiekLikeBikes said...

I know what my Grandfather believed about life, America, Religion and Politics. He never used words like "Christian Nation", I think he probably assumed it just was. Maybe he didn't worry--he's was a Calvinist. Maybe, like Calvinists should, he simply enjoyed the freedom? It's amazing that people are still worried about titles like "Christian Nation". Are Calvinists really worried?

I honestly had no idea where to place my vote last year. I'm less of a "Yes" man than quite a few. I do care though where my perception says we're headed (and I watch CNN). Seems like the red-coats are coming again--except we're the Red Coats.

trentvb said...

Seems like a round about way to say balderdash. Funny, I've never know you to be shy with such things.

Patti said...

Ugh. That's all I can say.

Ugh.

Anonymous said...

I am a Bible-believing Christian and I found this movie to be unrealistic and unartistic. Sadly, the Biblical truth that the Gospel grows a church and preaching is God's command (2 Tim 4:1-4)is trampled down by emotional song singing. How come nothing bad happens in this long drawn out formation of a praise band? Why can't Christians make better movies?