Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Morning Thanks--Respite Care



It's a blessing, really, that there's always more to learn. A couple days ago a little plastic bag full of what looked to be half-pint, pink Tootsie Roll Pops lay on the table in my in-laws' apartment at the Home. Candy suckers aren't something one sees around there all that often, in the land of the false choppers.

"Where did those come from?" I asked my wife.

She took one from the bag--a tiny sponge on a sucker stick, meant for keeping people's lips moist. I had no idea there was such a thing. But then, I'm sure that my not knowing is a bad thing.

And yesterday I learned something too. There's something called "respite care," and, when pressed into service, it relieves the care-giver, temporarily at least. "Respite care"--even sounds like a blessing.

Respite care--care for the caregiver, who we often don't think about, except in heroic terms, and who doesn't want to be a hero, really? A little time off for those who never are. Some breathing space for the short-winded.

I'm not the one who needs it, but I know some folks who do. And this morning, they're getting it. So for it--and them--this morning, even if it's temporary, I'm very thankful.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

We held those tiny water-filled sponges to my father-in-law's lips at the hospice house last week. Every time we used them, I could think only of the Living Water ...

Anonymous said...

...or, the damp sponge offered to Jesus on the cross.