Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009


a year of morning thanks

Missionaries

For most of my childhood, my mother insisted they were what we should be--those Jehovah's Witness guys in white shirts, black pants, and argyle socks, those zealots looking to convert America one block at a time. They were wrong, of course--that is, in theology; but they were right on the money in their enthusiasm. "We should be more like them," my mother used to say. After all, we were Christians, ourselves heirs to the divine imperitive of Christ's own last great words in the Great Commission. It was our duty to bring the good news, and what exactly were we doing?

Because they seemed to me to be paragons of righteousness, it never dawned on me that those model believers might be, well, human. I wouldn't have guessed that one or two of them might sneak a drink or light a smoke or make a move on one or more of the young things that may have showed up at the door when they came knocking. Such things never entered my mind, honestly. They were fools for Jesus, holy fools, and if I were only more of a fool myself I too would be out there pounding the pavement.

That perception explains my first reaction when reading a story by Bradford Tice, "Missionaries," in The Atlantic, and now again in the Best American Short Stories of 2008. If I were Mormon, I thought, I'd be really, really ticked, because the behavior of one of those straight-arrows in Tice's story is anything but--he smokes dope with a potential convert, makes love to a lusty young mark, and generally does whatever it takes to up his tally of converts--"the ends always justify the means," he says to his more pious sidekick. The story isn't fair to the millions of moral militants who happily spend years on missions. Tice isn't LDS either. If I were Mormon, I'd wonder how on earth the guy dared to pull himself into those precious Mormon undergarments.

It is a brutal story and maybe overplayed, I thought--and still do. But the way Tice ends the thing is perfectly wonderful and worth the price of admission (in the case of the story, at least, the ends do justify the means). What he does with all of that is shocking in its own way, very powerful. Whether or not "Missionaries" should be among the best American short stories of the year is debatable, but then any choice is, I'm sure.

But in that anthology, in the writer's notes, Bradford Tice says something that I have more trouble shaking than the story. I don't have the book here beside me right now, but the line goes like this: "One of the cheerless realities of organized eligion, in my secular opinion, is that often its spokespersons, the advocates of faith, end up seeming like used-car salesmen, while the truly devout go voiceless."

That line won't let me alone because it makes me wonder about the Great Commission--not whether or not it's true or valid or really a commission, but instead whether something got lost in the translation, something human jerry-rigged into a divine imperitive.

Don't know. What does it mean to "preach the gospel"?

I'm not so quick to judge as Tice is, but that simple line continues to haunt me because to me at least, it's asks a question I have not answered, at least for myself.

This morning I'm thankful for a story and a line that sticks with me, that makes me think.
_______________________________________________

You can read the Bradford Tice's "Missionaries" at http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200708/bradford-tice-missionaries .

4 comments:

RickNiekLikeBikes said...

A group of people trying to find favor with God. They should live as if they already have it, because those who are in Christ, definitely do.

Cara DeHaan said...

Interesting what you say about preaching the good news. I had a fellow student tell me yesterday that he was an "evangelist" -- but a secular one. So I asked him what his "good news" was. He couldn't tell me. I think he was saying more about his manner of speaking (enthusiastic, exhorting) than about the message he was offering. I responded that, conversely, I had good news to share but didn't consider myself an evangelist (even though all Christians really are called to evangelism in some day). He actually wanted to hear more, so maybe I'll find the evangelist in myself yet.
Thanks for the link to Tice's story. You've piqued my curiosity. As you did with Gabriel Spera's poem (a few months ago), which I used last week in a lecture on Literary Criticism! Thanks for the tip :-).

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , probably curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://iqedimugim.lookseekpages.com/romuli.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For quite a long time, I make money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and I started with funny 500 bucks.
Right now, I'm very close at catching at last a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Turn to my blog to get additional info.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]