Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Monday, December 08, 2008



a year of morning thanks

Baby Jesus tours the galaxy

Yesterday, my grandchildren were thrilled when my wife--who's adept at surprises--told them that she had rescued the old wooden nativity set from the attic, where it had been in storage with the rest of the Christmas trimmings for the last 12 months. This creche is industrial strength, caved from oak, I think, and capable of being flung around the room--sheep, camels, Mary, even the babe, each of them a handful.

So, once the bag was emptied, the pieces all over the family room floor, the make-believe began. I don't know if it's make believe exactly either, because our granddaughter, a second-grader, wanted things set aright, in order, in heavenly order, the way they're supposed to be in every nativity scene in the country. She's a realist, I guess, and the fact that she's got two long years on our grandson is often sufficient to put her on top if there's any bickering.

I've got no complaints about my grandkids, really--they're cute as a bug's ear, as my father used to say. But not unlike any other kids, they're not great team players. Soon enough, our grandson got tired of coloring within the lines, so to speak, so he wandered off and opened the toy cupboard to retrieve my son's old Star Wars toys, his year-round favorites anyway.

Once my granddaughter, the realist, had things nicely arranged, she wandered off, which left the scene at Bethlehem completely unguarded. Pieter, who's into fantasy, swooped in with the Star Wars star ship and picked up the baby Jesus. Amazingly, like the song says, no crying he made, despite the fact that, for a minute or two, he was aboard a genuine intergallactic vehicle, circa 1985, for a quick tour of the cosmos, while our grandson was emitting a chorus of potty-like sound effects that would be embarrassing if they didn't come from little boys.

I know George Lucas's whole series was heavy on the morality--good vs. evil; some critics have even baptized the movies. Furthermore, I know Jesus's cruising the galaxy is pretty much standard fare for him. What's more, if all of life is religion, then why shouldn't the baby get strapped in there right next to Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia?

You know, I could go a mile with this, a whole advent season of sermons. But I think I'll just let it alone for now, as my grandson did, once he spotted the old Christmas ornaments on the tree and abandoned both the baby Jesus and C-P30, left them both lying in the middle of the floor for little more than glitter. Hmmm. There's another sermon.

Don't worry--I'll pass.

4 comments:

RickNiekLikeBikes said...

I hope people aren't quick to say that Jesus might not enjoy a good space ride, especially if the young lad is driving.

Jennifer Dukes Lee said...

Brings new meaning to the phrase: "May the Force be with you."

Real Live Preacher said...

Jim,

We got a special nativity set for the kids to play with. So Jeanene and I have a couple that are rather pretty, which we would like to keep nice. And we have this set that they can do anything with. We've had some unusual creatures in the nativity over the years as well.

Stacie said...

Nothing stays "nice" with four kids, but I am happy to report that for the first time in 15 years I have successfully glued Joseph's staff back in place. Gorrilla glue did the trick where Elmers and Superglue failed repeatedly.
Now if I could just find the missing edges of the wiseman's crown...
Thanks for the great laugh today.