Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Morning Thanks--The Fight


I've just now read an esteemed colleague's "Caring Bridge" report. She calls today her D-Day. Once upon a time she met up with cancer in a dark alley and beat him badly. But the bastard returned, and she's been slugging it out again for months. Today tests will determine whether or not she's beat him again; today some doctor will pull up an image on a screen and read the verdict, then grab a breath and get her in the office to tell her the news--win or lose.

She's much loved by friends and family and students. Legions of prayer warriors will be calling in heavenly air strikes. Today she'll have all those closest to her in her corner. She's in the fight of her life.

And yet, she'll not win or lose, I suppose. Here's what she says: "I’m very aware that the report can go either way but I also know that no matter what happens, God will be there."

We'll miss her if the evil one isn't vanquished. We'll lose, but she won't; and the comfort in all this battle is her confession that she knows his presence, well and good, herself. All our striving would be losing were not the right man on our side, saith the Reverend Doctor Luther, or words to that effect.

This morning is one of those mornings when thanks doesn't seem in order. This morning a ton of folks will be storming the gates of heaven. I'm thankful for this--that in the very core of her soul she knows, even if we can't or don't, that finally, for her, today's round of this knockdown battle will, win or lose, be win/win.

1 comment:

RickNiekLikeBikes said...

When isn't the evil one vanquished? But I do ache for those who move through this type of challenge--really any difficult challenge. I never know how to feel or think, except hope in faith. We've prayed healing prayers so often for loved ones. Some...most have died. I realized recently that the moment my friends or family did pass away that my prayers for healing were answered to the affirmative. I do look forward to living on the other side of eternal life even if others won't want me to go.

What do we expect our answers should look like?