Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Morning Thanks--the language of falling leaves


Tuesday morning, early, I walked out back for awhile. If the moon was around, it was somewhere else in the cosmos or a sliver just I didn't see. The night seemed especially black, except for a sky full of jewelry. It was early morning and, strangely for the Plains, largely windstill. No, make that totally windstill. There was no movement at all in the trees.

And yet the leaves were falling. In a dark morning that any other of time of year would have been totally silent, those leaves crackled just slightly as they fell over lawn and sidewalk and the barn roof, the rustling neither distressing, nor fearful--just unusual. For sure, it's fall--just listen, I told myself.

That it was election day is immaterial. But as I stood there in the shower of gentle whispering, I told myself that I hadn't been paying attention lately, hadn't been listening enough. “Little things console us," Pascal once wrote, "because little things afflict us.”

There was nothing little about this Presidential election, but, standing out there in the shower of falling leaves, I told myself it was time to listen more, now that it's over, to keep a place in my heart for beauty, as Pascal also once suggested.

After all, this is my father's world. And this morning, I'm thankful for the language of his grace in the falling leaves of a dark and windstill morning.

4 comments:

Jennifer Dukes Lee said...

"... to my listening ears,
all nature sings, and round me rings, the music of the spheres."

Thank you for sharing your beautiful writing with us, Mr. Stuff in the Basement, and also your insights into the simple things. ... From a Lyon County reader

jcs said...

Lyon County?--shoot, we're neighbors!

Jennifer Dukes Lee said...

I found you on High Calling blogs, and thoroughly enjoy your writing. I live just northwest of Inwood; moved here after spending several years as a news reporter in Des Moines. Your posts are great, Mr. Stuff in the Basement. Do you teach writing at Dordt?

Anonymous said...

windstill...
what a lovely word...
will add it to my vocabulary.

leaves... yes.
ever wonder why they fell and stars did not?
why they fall with more sound than stars?