Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Morning Thanks--Denoument


The big, colorful dawns, like the big sunsets, are all on a rheostat. There's nobody flic

king light switches, not a chorus of angels or a squad of wizards leaning anxiously over some massive light board. At just the right time, the heavens come alive at the horizon, its radiance shifting so effortlessly that the whole, gigantic pallette seems liquid.

From my office window last night, I couldn't help but notice an unmistakable glow, where something extraordinary was going on. I climbed in the Tracker, rode just a mile or so west to the edge of town, and caught little more than the last act of an incredible show, but enough to know that what had developed on that monumental stage had been no ordinary dusk.

There ain't no way to get that kind of a show in a lens or on a sensor--I don't care how many megapixels. But you can try. So I did.

So this is a scene from a incredible show that will never, ever play again--even though, if I keep my eyes open, I'm quite sure there will be more astonishing work from the artist.

This morning, I'm thankful to have been there, even if I caught only the falling action.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful!!! Hi, from WI.

Real Live Preacher said...

Yeah, wish I could have been there. I stare at sunsets a lot. Would stare at sunrises too but I rarely see them. The gradients are amazing, more so as they - as you noted - change slowly, so slowly you can hardly follow. But the next thing you know, it's dark.

Nancy said...

I'm thankful for the glimpse of His glory - the Artist who steals my breath away.

Lorinda said...

This is a beautiful glimpse of artwork you can't buy...I love to be in the outdoors to capture it.