Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Morning Thanks--Break

Late afternoon. Yesterday. You could feel it in the offices, the stillness. There was no traffic, no conversation, the whole place as cold and empty as a basement. Still a day to go, but I swear--you can feel it in the air.

We're embarking on a break. For Thanksgiving. For turkey and home fires and cranberry relish. Three e-mails yesterday told me that students who were supposed to be in class were already in Colorado, Washington, elsewhere in Iowa. If you dared to skip two days, you already left on Friday, which gives you a break of almost a week-and-a-half. What a break.

I'm supposed to be outraged. I'm supposed to take it personally. Shoot, if I was their age, I'd be long gone.

Nothing felt quite so good, yesterday, as the cold and empty rooms of the office.

Break as in severence; as in disjunction, discontinuity; as in lull and interim.

As long as it's not an arm or a leg, right now, it's a great word--break. One class to go and I'm in.

Break, as in sabbath, from Hebrew, to rest. Break, as in blessing.

Break as in Thanksgiving Break. Break as "gimme' a break."

Break as in thanks.

2 comments:

Stacie said...

You are a nice guy. My profs used to give a quiz the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Harpweaver said...

Ahhhh....break! I am a student in a private university, and I'm headed home today! I completely know what you mean by the feeling there is on campus the days before break!

I hope your Thanksgiving break is blessed and relaxing;)

God Bless, and thanks for the updates on your blog, I really enjoy them!